NEW YORK, Aug. 15, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Inc. Magazine today ranked leading equity crowdfunding platform SeedInvest as the fourth fastest-growing financial services company on its 37th annual "Inc. 500 List", one of the most prestigious ranking of the nation's fastest-growing private companies. Each year, the Inc. 500 list features the most successful, up-and-coming companies in the American economy. Companies such as Microsoft, Dell, Domino's Pizza, Under Armour, Timberland, LinkedIn, and Yelp gained national exposure on the Inc. 500 list before going on to become household names.
"For years we at SeedInvest have looked to the Inc. 500 list to source the fastest growing companies in America to feature on our platform," said Ryan Feit, CEO & Co-Founder of SeedInvest. "It's truly amazing to see our own name on the list this year. I'm incredibly proud of the entire SeedInvest team."
In 2011, SeedInvest founders Ryan Feit and James Han got involved in a movement to change 80-year-old US securities laws in order to enable entrepreneurs to raise capital online for the first time and to open-up startup investing to the general public. This lobbying effort eventually resulted in the passage of the 2012 JOBS Act which effectively legalized Kickstarter with equity. Hundreds of competing platforms launched over the past six years but SeedInvest's highly differentiated approach enabled it to ultimately become the largest equity crowdfunding platform in the US.
"Since inception, we focused on building a high-quality, vetted marketplace," said Feit. "Our vetted approach, along with our dedication to democratizing startup investing, has fueled our growth."
For its first few years, equity crowdfunding was restricted to only accredited investors, the wealthiest 2% of Americans. But SeedInvest worked closely with regulators at the SEC and FINRA over four years to finalize the last pieces of The JOBS Act and open-up startup investing to everyone. Although it was a risky proposition to open SeedInvest to the other 98%, it paid off. In 2017, SeedInvest processed 20,000 investments versus just 275 in 2015 and had 14,000 startups initiate applications to raise capital versus 1,500 in 2015.
Companies that made this year's broader Inc. 5000 List grew sixfold since 2014, on average, compared to the overall economy which grew at only 11%. SeedInvest, along with the other Inc. 500 honorees, will be featured in the September 2018 issue of Inc. Magazine. In addition, to see the broader Inc. 5000 list, including company profiles and an interactive database that can be sorted by industry, region, and other criteria, please visit www.inc.com/inc5000.
SeedInvest is a leading equity crowdfunding platform that provides individual investors with access to pre-vetted startup investment opportunities. SeedInvest has funded over 150 startups and boasts a rapidly growing network of over 200,000 investors. SeedInvest has had over 30,000 startups apply to raise capital since inception and has accepted less than 1% of those companies to feature on the platform. All securities-related activity is conducted by SI Securities, LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of SeedInvest, and a registered broker-dealer, and member FINRA/SIPC. For more information, visit www.seedinvest.com.
About Inc. Media:
Founded in 1979 and acquired in 2005 by Mansueto Ventures, Inc. is the only major brand dedicated exclusively to owners and managers of growing private companies, with the aim to deliver real solutions for today's innovative company builders. Winner of the National Magazine Award for General Excellence in both 2014 and 2012. Total monthly audience reach for the brand has grown significantly from 2,000,000 in 2010 to over 18,000,000 today. For more information, visit www.inc.com.
The Inc. 500 is a list of the fastest-growing private companies in the nation. Started in 1982, this prestigious list of the nation's most successful private companies has become the hallmark of entrepreneurial success. The Inc. 5000 Conference & Awards Ceremony is an annual event that celebrates their remarkable achievements. The event also offers informative workshops, celebrated keynote speakers, and evening functions.