YONKERS, N.Y., Nov. 9, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Holiday shoppers can find the perfect gift for almost everyone on their list for $25 or less. The December 2012 issue of ShopSmart, from Consumer Reports, highlights 25 great sites that offer everything from silly stocking stuffers to socially responsible gift items.
"There's an endless selection of unique and inexpensive holiday gifts online," said Lisa Lee Freeman, editor-in-chief of ShopSmart. "ShopSmart has identified 25 sites that can help shoppers avoid the aggravation of in-store shopping while nabbing great deals."
The report also features nine great sites for presents under $50, five that offer do-good gifts, and six sites and apps that can help last-minute shoppers get gifts in an instant. Each of these sites meets ShopSmart's requirements for privacy, contact info disclosure, and service, and while some don't offer free shipping, the gifts themselves are a great value.
Here are five fun sites from ShopSmart's December issue.
- OldTimeCandy.com has a variety of retro candy including Bottle Caps, Pixy Stix, and Razzles ─ perfect gift ideas for friends and family members with a sweet tooth. The site offers age-targeted kits, such as a 2-pound 1970s box for $24, or shoppers can create their own customized collection. Shipping starts at $7; orders must be placed by December 16 (midnight EST) for guaranteed delivery by Christmas.
- Pier1.com is the online dwelling of home furnishings retailer Pier 1 imports. Their new website features many well-priced goodies including Indian-crafted brass candle snuffers starting at $8. Shipping starts at $4.95; orders must be placed by December 16 for guaranteed delivery by Christmas.
- SetBoutique.com features clothing, jewelry, bags, and housewares from socially responsible manufacturers. The site will donate $5 to a charity of shoppers' choice when they spend $20 or more. Shipping starts at $5.10; orders must be placed by December 20 for guaranteed delivery by Christmas.
- Vat19.com is a site where tongue meets cheek. Shoppers can pick up unique items, including a half-pound of gummy bears on a stick starting at $9.99 or a USB-powered beverage warmer/cooler for $19.99. Flat-rate shipping is $4.99; orders must be placed by December 17 for guaranteed delivery by Christmas.
- Wag.com has pet-related gifts covered. Shoppers can select items such as a doggie tuxedo, $19.95 or a carrot-shaped rabbit toy, $3.39. Shipping starts at $4.99 and is free for orders $49 or more; orders must be placed by December 19 for guaranteed delivery by Christmas.
About Consumer Reports:
Consumer Reports is the world's largest independent product-testing organization. Using its more than 50 labs, auto test center, and survey research center, the nonprofit rates thousands of products and services annually. Founded in 1936, Consumer Reports has over 8 million subscribers to its magazine, website, and other publications. Its advocacy division, Consumers Union, works for health reform, food and product safety, financial reform, and other consumer issues in Washington, D.C., the states, and in the marketplace.
About ShopSmart magazine:
Launched in Fall 2006 by Consumer Reports, ShopSmart draws upon the publication's celebrated tradition of accepting no advertisements and providing unbiased product reviews. ShopSmart features product reviews, shopping tips on how to get the most out of products and "best of the best" lists. It's ideal for busy shoppers who place a premium on time. ShopSmart has a newsstand price of $4.99 and is available nationwide at major retailers including Barnes & Noble, Wal-Mart, Borders, Kroger, Safeway and Publix. ShopSmart is available by subscription at www.ShopSmartmag.org.
ShopSmart is available 10 times a year. Subscribe at www.ShopSmartmag.org.