NEENAH, Wis., June 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- With the first day of summer upon us, it's almost time for relaxing vacations and sunny beaches. According to the U.S. Travel Association, 64 percent of Americans plan to take a leisure trip between May and October of 2012. This is up from 61 percent last year. But while you're packing your new swimsuit and favorite sunglasses don't forget about protecting your jewelry. A recent survey conducted by Perfect Circle™ Jewelry Insurance, a product of Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company, found that over one-quarter of people surveyed had lost a piece of jewelry while vacationing.
The survey of 600 married women in the United States also found that almost two-thirds of people bring or wear valuable jewelry while on vacation. The most common place people left their jewelry was in the room safe, which is the best option next to wearing your jewelry and keeping it with you at all times. But almost one-quarter of people left pieces of jewelry in their luggage, which is not advisable when it comes to protecting your favorite diamond earrings or new pearl bracelet.
It's no surprise that people bring jewelry with them on their vacation. "Jewelry is part of who you are, it's part of your personality. You want to wear it while traveling, not leave it behind," says Mike Maley, vice president of personal lines with Jewelers Mutual®. "It's perfectly fine to bring your jewelry on vacation, just take extra precautions to ensure its safety."
So whether you're a jet-setter or weekend road-tripper, here are some helpful safety tips from your travel-savvy friends with Perfect Circle Jewelry Insurance by Jewelers Mutual, your jewelry insurance experts:
- Choose wisely. Pack light and take only the jewelry you'll wear while traveling and at your destination. The 4-carat diamond ring you save for special occasions? Probably not. The pearls that go with everything? Definitely.
- Make a list. List all the jewelry you'll take with you. Make two copies. Take one copy with you and store it separately from your jewelry. Leave the other copy at home. Also helpful: take pictures or a video of your jewelry.
- Carry it on. Never put jewelry in checked bags. Instead, wear it or stow it in your carry-on bag. If you wear it, take extra care by slipping a pendant inside a sweater or turning your ring so only the band shows.
- Keep it with you. Put your jewelry in a favorite bag you'll carry while traveling. Don't leave your jewelry in an unattended car or suitcase. When checking into your hotel or condo, don't hand your jewelry bag to hotel staff. Carry it personally.
- Use the safe. Always store jewelry in the in-room safe when you're not wearing it.
- Insure it right. Perfect Circle Jewelry Insurance provides personal jewelry protection against loss, damage, theft and mysterious disappearance wherever your travels take you, worldwide. So get the right insurance. Then relax and have fun.
For more travel tips or information on jewelry insurance visit PerfectCircleInsurance.com.
Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company is the only company specializing exclusively in jewelry insurance in the United States and Canada. The American Gem Society, Jewelers of America, and Canadian Jewellers Association exclusively endorse Jewelers Mutual. Its continued A+ Superior rating from A.M. Best reflects the company's strong financial position. Jewelers Mutual was founded in 1913 in Neenah, Wis., by jewelers who needed affordable insurance. Today, Jewelers Mutual insures manufacturers, repair businesses, custom designers, retailers, artisans, appraisers, wholesalers, bench jewelers, and individuals. More than 10,000 commercial policyholders trust Jewelers Mutual to insure their jewelry businesses, and more than 250,000 individual policyholders carry over $4 billion in personal insurance coverage. Visit the Perfect Circle Insurance site at www.PerfectCircleInsurance.com.
SOURCE Perfect Circle Jewelry Insurance