SAN FRANCISCO, April 9, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- One of America's favorite sandwiches, the grilled cheese sandwich, enjoys its very own holiday on Sunday, April 12 with the observance of National Grilled Cheese Day. Grilled cheese sandwiches are fun to enjoy when you're out with friends, so Skout, the leading social global platform for meeting new people, decided to have some fun with the holiday and surveyed more than 4,600 of its users across the U.S. to see what people's grilled cheese sandwich preferences say about them.
Highlights from Skout's grilled cheese survey include:
86% of adults surveyed say they "love" grilled cheese sandwiches.
Grilled cheese sandwich lovers get more action in the bedroom!
- 73% of people who love grilled cheese sandwiches have sex at least once a month vs. 68% of those who don't care for the sandwich.
- 32% of grilled cheese sandwich lovers have sex at least six times a month vs. 27% who pass on the melted goodness.
People who love grilled cheese sandwiches are more charitable.
- 81% of people who love grilled cheese sandwiches say they have donated their time, money or food to those in need. Only 66% of people who dislike grilled cheese say they are as generous.
Grilled cheese sandwich lovers are more adventurous and more likely to travel.
- While a grilled cheese sandwich may seem like a safe, All-American meal, 88% of grilled cheese fans say they are "fairly" or "very" adventurous. Only 75% of people who dislike grilled cheese sandwiches say the same.
- 84% of grilled cheese sandwich fans love to travel, compared to 78% of people who dislike the sandwich.
Favorite grilled cheese sandwich ingredients? It's a mix.
- 60% of adults surveyed say they prefer a grilled cheese sandwich that mixes two types of cheeses. Only 40% are grilled cheese purists.
- The most popular cheese is American (41%) followed by Cheddar (33%), Mozzarella (10%), Swiss (8%), Provolone (6%) and Brie (2%).
- White bread is by far the most popular choice (51%) followed by wheat (29%), sourdough (13%), rye (4%) and a baguette (3%).
Toppings or no? It's a toss up.
- 47% say they add extras to their grilled cheese sandwich, like pesto and tomato.
- 53% say "just cheese, please!"
Maybe it's the crust?
- 28% of people who say they usually pass on a grilled cheese sandwich say that if they were to order it, they'd remove the crust. Only 10% of people who love grilled cheese sandwiches would remove the crust.
"In an ongoing effort to engage with our community, we thought that National Grilled Cheese Day would be a fun way to gauge the habits and behaviors of our users," said Christian Wiklund, co-founder and CEO of Skout. "Grilled cheese sandwiches are a traditional American comfort food that almost everybody enjoys, yet the sandwich can be created in a bunch of different ways. It's interesting to see how different our users are, but they all have one thing in common: the grilled cheese sandwich!"
Additional information and the accompanying infographic can be viewed on the Skout blog. To download the Skout app for iPhone or Android, or to sign up online, visit www.skout.com. You can also find Skout on Facebook and Twitter.
Skout is the leading global social platform for meeting new people and expanding your social circle. The Skout community spans more than 180 countries, is available in 14 languages and can be downloaded on iOS, Android and Windows devices. The Andreessen Horowitz backed company was founded in 2007 and is headquartered in San Francisco. Visit www.skout.com to learn more.