NEW MONMOUTH, N.J., Jan. 3, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- The New Year is all about paying homage to yesteryear, at least on the floors. According to SMART Carpet and Flooring's list of the top five hardwood flooring trends for 2018, this year the most up-to-the-minute homes will feature some vintage and retro looks.
"For the last few years, many homeowners preferred a sleek, modern look to their flooring," explained Brendan Phillips, SMART Carpet and Flooring founder and president. "The pendulum will swing in 2018. We're seeing a return to retro: mixed-width hardwood plank flooring, distressed wood looks, and even an updated take on parquet floors."
SMART Carpet and Flooring's full list of the top five hardwood flooring trends for 2018 includes:
- Wide plank hardwood floors. Equally at home against modern and rustic décor, this year's floors will give new meaning to the term "wide plank flooring." Want to be on trend? Look for hardwood planks that are five or even seven inches wide. This flooring trend will make any space look larger.
- Gray wood floors. This trend may not sound new, but its execution in 2018 will be a little different. Whereas 2017 saw a trend toward warmer grays and "greige," 2018 will usher in cooler tones throughout the home, making it the perfect time to install cool gray flooring.
- Distressed wood floors. Whether eco-friendly reclaimed wood or budget-friendly wood-look vinyl plank, distressed wood is one of the hottest new flooring trends in the New Year, thanks in no small part to popular home remodeling shows' reliance on the look. Look to distressed wood flooring--particularly in the cooler gray tones that are so easy to find in reclaimed wood plank--if you want to instantly bring your home on trend this year.
- Varied-width wood plank floors. This trend began to gain speed toward the end of 2017, and it's only picking up steam in 2018. Reminiscent of historic homes when nothing went to waste, mixed-width wood flooring makes for a one-of-a-kind look that brightens and freshens any room. Choose any combination of widths for this trend: Let your personal aesthetic be your guide.
- Parquet floors. The vintage, mid-century chevron flooring look is back. This time around, try combining parquet with other 2018 flooring trends like cool gray flooring, distressed wood, or even wide plank flooring to create your own thoroughly modern take on parquet.
SMART Carpet and Flooring is the leading at-home flooring provider in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and New York. The company was the first in the area to bring mobile flooring showrooms to the consumer, allowing homeowners to see thousands of carpet, tile, wood, vinyl and stone flooring samples right at home, under their own lighting and against their existing décor. SMART Carpet and Flooring is a full-service flooring provider, offering everything from removal of the old flooring to financing the new flooring installation in-house.
About SMART Carpet and Flooring
As the Tri-State area's premiere shop-at-home flooring provider with deep roots in New Jersey, SMART Carpet and Flooring eliminates the hassle of buying new carpet and flooring by doing everything at the client's home, where color and quality selection matter most. Because the company is a mill-direct buying service and not a store, SMART Carpet and Flooring customers can save up to 50% off typical store prices. SMART Carpet and Flooring includes everything from measuring and layout to quality padding, installation and financing.
SOURCE SMART Carpet and Flooring