SAN DIEGO, Jan. 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today announced the Smart Data Concentrator Evaluation Module (EVM) at DistribuTECH 2013. The TMDSDC-EVMAM335x is a highly integrated EVM that gives developers the ultimate level of flexibility and scalability with numerous performance, cost and connectivity options for their data concentrator designs. Based on TI's Sitara AM335x ARM® Cortex™-A8 processors, the EVM includes advanced hardware and software that reduce development time by up to nine months while still supporting connectivity to more than 1,000 smart meters. The Smart Data Concentrator EVM expands the functionality of designs and enables quick connectivity to the smart grid. Developers can easily plug in different connectivity modules, including Sub-1GHz (LPRF), general packet radio service (GPRS), near field communication (NFC) and TI's power line communication (PLC) system-on-module contains a C2000™ Piccolo™ F28PLC83 and AFE031 analog front end for robust G3 and PRIME support. For more information about this new data concentrator EVM, visit www.ti.com/dcevm-pr-lp.
In addition, the data concentrator EVM offers an extensive open-source Linux software development kit that includes fully customizable, pre-written code. Developers can easily add functionality and features to data concentrator designs without the hassle of writing and tweaking code. It also includes resources such as PLC stacks (PLC-Lite™, PRIME, G3, IEEE-P1901.2), network protocols and applications like DLMS/COSEM so developers can customize their products for multiple regional and global standards. Developers can also leverage the customizable hardware and software to easily fit the new data concentrator evaluation module into a final product. With a sophisticated evaluation module that saves up to nine months in the design cycle, developers can instead focus on getting a differentiated product to market more quickly.
The new Smart Data Concentrator EVM is the latest example of TI's commitment to helping developers create innovative technology that reduces energy consumption and smarter connected devices for the smart grid. With TI's extensive ARM processor portfolio that has more than 500 products and boasts offerings from $1 in price and up to 5 GHz in performance, smart grid developers can maximize their investment, accelerate time to market and enable differentiated products based on customer needs.
Features and benefits of the new Smart Data Concentrator EVM:
- Sitara AM335x ARM Cortex-A8 processors provide the necessary performance headroom for the complex routing algorithm in the data concentrator to connect with more than 1,000 e-meters.
- Flexible Sitara processor portfolio is scalable from 300MHz to 1GHz based on customers' performance and cost needs.
- Integrated communication interfaces include two Ethernet (MAC) ports, USB and up to eight UARTs for easy connectivity to other systems on the smart grid.
- Multiple PLC stacks for MAC and PHY layers let developers create designs that support PLC-Lite™, PRIME, G3, IEEE-P1901.2.
- IPv4, IPv6 and 6LoWPAN protocols allow developers to connect their data concentrator products to a wide range of home and building automation applications.
- DLMS/COSEM applications standard, supported by third party Aricent, defines how the data concentrator will organize the metering data and how to send it back to the utility.
Pricing and availability
The TMDSDC-EVMAM335x Smart Data Concentrator Evaluation Module is available for USD $695. For more information about purchasing the module, please contact your TI sales representative.
Visit TI @ DistribuTECH 2013
DistribuTECH is the utility industry's leading smart grid conference and exposition. Stop by booth 943 to see TI's Smart Grid demonstrations, solutions and meet our Smart Grid experts. Be sure to also follow @TXInstruments on Twitter and TI Microcontrollers on Facebook for exclusive show updates!
TI's Smart Grid solutions
With millions of energy meter ICs shipped over the past decade, Texas Instruments is the global systems provider for innovative, secure, economical and future-proof solutions for the worldwide smart grid. TI offers the industry's broadest smart grid portfolio of metrology expertise, application processors, communication systems, wireless connectivity and analog components in readily available silicon, with advanced software, tools and support for compliant solutions in grid infrastructure, utility metering and home or building automation. Learn more at www.ti.com/smartgrid.
Find out more about TI's smart grid metering solutions
- TI's smart grid solutions: www.ti.com/smartgrid
- TI's smart grid solutions guide: www.ti.com/dcevm-pr-sg
- TI's data concentrator solutions: www.ti.com/dcevm-pr-dc
- Sitara ARM Cortex-A8 processors: www.ti.com/dcevm-pr-hp
- TI's ARM portfolio: www.ti.com/arm
- Smart grid TI E2E™ community: www.ti.com/dcevm-pr-e2e
- Read TI's ARM processor Smart Grid white paper: www.ti.com/dcevm-pr-wp
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
Sitara, C2000, Piccolo, PLC-Lite and TI E2E are trademarks of Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI). All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated