HARRISBURG, Pa., June 4 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The departments of General Services and Military and Veterans Affairs today announced that six construction projects to renovate Pennsylvania National Guard Readiness Centers are planned as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Both agencies encouraged veteran-, minority- and women-owned small construction businesses to participate in the bidding process.
"These Recovery Act construction projects provide a great opportunity for diverse participation in state contracts that can include Pennsylvania veteran-owned small businesses as well as minority- and women-owned contractors," said James P. Creedon, DGS secretary and chief implementation officer for the Recovery Act. "More participation by a variety of small businesses in state contracts helps to support diversity."
In accordance with the Governor's Executive Order to increase participation of veteran-owned and small and disadvantaged businesses in Recovery Act opportunities, DGS will provide assistance to business entities seeking certification as a veteran-, minority-, or women-owned business. Both DGS and DMVA will conduct outreach to ensure businesses are aware of the opportunities.
With an estimated combined construction cost of nearly $6 million, the projects include the HVAC, mechanical, electrical and general trade areas, and are designed to improve overall building efficiency and conserve energy. The projects include improvements to existing readiness centers in Allegheny, Dauphin, Lehigh and Luzerne counties.
The projects include:
- Pittsburgh Hunt Readiness Center, building renovations and roof replacement, project 963-52, phase two. Bids will be opened June 16, with an award expected June 30;
- Harrisburg Military Post, renovations to Building #7, project 962-26, phase two. Bids will be opened June 9, award date not yet established;
- Allentown Readiness Center, electrical system upgrades, project 961-21, phase two, part two. Bids will be opened July 28, with an award expected Aug. 18;
- Allentown Readiness Center, replace HVAC controls, project 961-22, phase two, part two. Bids will be opened July 28, with an award expected Aug. 18;
- Plymouth Readiness Center, replace boiler and HVAC system controls, project 961-22, phase two. Bids will be opened July 28, with an award expected Aug. 18;
- Wilkes-Barre/Kingston Readiness Center, replace boilers and associated equipment, project 961-19, phase two. Bids will be opened July 28, with an award expected Aug. 18.
"Our veterans provided for a strong national defense through their military service and now, veteran-owned businesses have the opportunity to contribute to the nation's economic recovery by participating in these construction projects," said Maj. Gen. Jessica L. Wright, state adjutant general. "I look forward, along with Secretary Creedon, to receiving bids for these military construction projects from veteran-, women- and minority-owned small businesses."
For more project information, visit DGS at www.dgs.state.pa.us and click on "Construction and Public Works," and then "Contract and Bidding."
Ed Myslewicz, DGS, 717-787-3197
Joan Nissley, DMVA, 717-861-8720
SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of General Services