SAN BERNARDINO, Calif., Feb. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Throughout the months of November and December 2012, all 167 Stater Bros. Supermarkets, in conjunction with the company's charitable arm Stater Bros. Charities, "harvested hope" in Southern California communities. The 4th Annual "Harvesting Hope in our Community" program once again raised funds and food to assist with hunger relief efforts in the communities where Stater Bros. customers and employees live and work.
- Stater Bros. Charities presented $470,000 in cash donations to over 100 Southern California food banks and self-help organizations.
- Stater Bros. Supermarkets contributed over $30,000 to qualified nonprofit organizations that feed the hungry to help with the purchase of turkeys for Thanksgiving.
- The traditional Salvation Army Red Kettles in front of Stater Bros. Supermarkets collected $540,580 this Holiday Season to provide much needed assistance to the local poor and homeless.
- During November and December, food barrels were located inside all 167 Stater Bros. Supermarkets, and, as a result, over 274,000 pounds of food valued at more than $400,000 was donated to local food banks.
- Approximately $150,000 in cash was also generously donated by customers and employees at Stater Bros. check stands during November and December. These funds will be allocated to food banks in the summer of 2013 when food reserves are traditionally low.
"The Stater Bros. 'Family' believes strongly in giving back to the communities we serve because we just don't do business in a community, we are part of the community, and this year the need was greater than ever," stated Jack H. Brown, Chairman and Chief Executive Office of Stater Bros. Markets. "During these tough times … we will not let our customers stand alone," added Brown.
The Stater Bros. "Harvesting Hope in our Community" campaign winds up Stater Bros.' year-long efforts to support nonprofit organizations in the communities it serves. Each year, Stater Bros. and Stater Bros. Charities contribute over $15 million to assist those in need, with an emphasis on worthy programs that benefit hunger relief, children's services, veterans care, education, and the elderly.
In addition, Stater Bros. donates over 3 million pounds of food annually to the local food banks.
Stater Bros. is the largest privately owned Supermarket Chain in Southern California and the largest private employer in both San Bernardino County and Riverside County, with annual sales in 2012 of $3.9 billion. The Company currently operates 167 Supermarkets, and there are over 18,000 members of the Stater Bros. Supermarket Family.
STATER BROS ... PROUDLY SERVING SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA FAMILIES FOR 77 YEARS
Contact: Susan Atkinson
Vice President Corporate Affairs
Phone: (909) 733-5038
SOURCE Stater Bros. Markets