SILVER SPRING, Md., Oct. 6, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Stephen Hawking's Favorite Places has won the Emmy® for Outstanding Graphic Design and Art Direction at the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences 38th Annual News & Documentary Emmy® Awards.
This is the first Emmy® award for CuriosityStream, a leading global documentary streaming service launched by Discovery Communications founder and former chairman John Hendricks two and a half years ago.
Another CuriosityStream Original film, David Attenborough's Light On Earth, also won international acclaim this year, including 2 Emmy® nominations, a BAFTA nomination, and Best Presenter/Host-Led Documentary at the Jackson Hole Wildlife Film Festival, the natural history filmmaking industry's most prestigious awards.
"We are honored to have been highlighted in a field of such incredible, impactful programs, produced by iconic names in the documentary industry," said Elizabeth Hendricks North, President and CEO of CuriosityStream. "We are proud of our innovative original films and series, and we're looking forward to premiering new exciting projects with outstanding factual filmmakers and producers."
Here is a complete list of award nominations and wins for CuriosityStream films for 2017:
News and Documentary Emmy® Awards 2017
- Stephen Hawking's Favorite Places - Outstanding Graphic Design and Art Direction (winner)
- David Attenborough's Light on Earth - Outstanding Nature Documentary, Outstanding Cinematography: Documentary (nominees)
Jackson Hole Wildlife Film Festival 2017
- David Attenborough's Light on Earth - Best Host/Presenter Led Documentary (winner), Best Science in Nature Film (nominee)
- Big World in a Small Garden - Best Short Film (nominee)
BAFTA Awards 2017 (UK)
- David Attenborough's Light on Earth - Specialist Factual (nominee)
Science Media Awards
- David Attenborough's Light on Earth - Grand Helix Award (best in show) (winner)
Webby Awards 2017
- CuriosityStream - Best Science & Education Channel (honoree)
- Deep Time History - Best Documentary Series (honoree)
- Science Breakthroughs: Gravitational Waves - Science & Education for Film & Video (nominee)
Telly Awards 2017
- Classic Cars (winner)
David Attenborough's Light On Earth was directed by Martin Dohrn and Ammonite Films. CuriosityStream and Ammonite are also partnered on the upcoming sweeping series Big Cats, in production now.
The Emmy® Award winning Stephen Hawking's Favorite Places was directed by Ben Bowie and Bigger Bang. Episodes 2 and 3 are coming to CuriosityStream in early 2018.
All of the award-winning and nominated films are available to watch now. Sign up for a free trial at CuriosityStream.com.
CuriosityStream is the premier destination for leading documentary and nonfiction series and films, anytime, anywhere. With over 1,500 shows from the world's best filmmakers, including exclusive originals, CuriosityStream is available on most devices and platforms in over 190 countries to watch on TVs, computers, tablets and smartphones, direct and via Roku, Apple TV, Xbox One, Amazon Fire TV and Google Chromecast, iOS and Android. From science, space and tech to history, nature and civilization, CuriosityStream delivers an unparalleled immersive viewing experience that entertains and inspires, at a price within reach. Launched by Discovery Communications founder and media visionary John Hendricks, subscriptions start at just $2.99 per month, after a free trial. For more information, visit CuriosityStream.com