ATLANTA, Feb. 21, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Perioperative IT is seeing significant growth, particularly in Anesthesia Information Management Systems (AIMS) and analytics solutions, according to Atlanta-based Surgical Information Systems ("SIS"). In a recent survey of healthcare decision makers, 84% of those surveyed consider IT solutions as a strategic driver of success in the OR. The survey of 292 healthcare decision makers was sponsored by SIS.
"The surgical environment is the biggest revenue area for almost any health system so it is imperative that you have a solution that complements its needs and unique workflows," said Mike Mistretta, VP and CIO at MedCentral Health System in Mansfield, Ohio. "For example, enterprise scheduling is very different from the scheduling that occurs in the OR. You have issues such as block scheduling and case shuffling – these don't occur anywhere else in the hospital."
For the average hospital, the perioperative environment accounts for 70% of a hospital's revenue, 60% of its margin, and more than 50% of medical errors. With cuts in government programs, pay for performance and multiple other reimbursement challenges organizations of all sizes are looking to the surgical services area to reduce costs, improve care and maximize margin where possible to fund less profitable programs. Healthcare leaders have consistently communicated that delivering additional operational and clinical efficiencies with respect to the perioperative environment is essential for success in the "new normal."
SIS added a record number of ORs in 2011, adding new clients and expanding services to existing clients, and attributes the strong demand to its delivery of:
- Clinician-friendly, easy-to-use, point-of-care perioperative documentation systems that is timely and complete.
- An Anesthesia Information Management System (AIMS) supporting complex workflows such as in L&D where a pain block can transition to a C-section in one continuous record.
- Innovative mobile solutions extending functionality for preoperative assessments, patient tracking and OR management.
- Comprehensive Analytics solutions providing a graphical window into key perioperative metrics like surgical contribution margins and labor costs per case.
- Data compliance and audit tools to ensure accurate documentation is being captured and sent to patient billing reducing denials and A/R days.
"When you choose an analytics solution in particular, it's important to make sure the solution can integrate properly with your enterprise solution to include data across the entire continuum of care," said Mistretta, "If you don't have a record that hits on all components, you cannot see the full picture and the full scope of what is going on in your facility. You need to stretch beyond and SIS Analytics does that."
SIS is dedicated to providing interoperable solutions and takes a leadership role in developing and implementing standards, working with both IHE and HIMSS. "SIS, along with our partners is delivering seamless solutions that address the unique demands of the perioperative environment while integrating seamlessly and easily into the broader hospital technology ecosystem," said SIS CEO, Ed Daihl.
SIS will demonstrate the seamless exchange of data in a perioperative setting at this year's HIMSS including in the Interoperability Showcase. In addition SIS will provide thought leaderships opportunities:
SIS Booth #1339
- "Transforming Perioperative Data into Actionable Intelligence"
- "Improving Departmental Communication throughout the Perioperative Care Continuum"
Interoperability Showcase Theatre
- "Interoperability and the Surgery Department" on Wednesday, February 22nd at 11:45am.
Roundtable Discussion – Room Galileo 904
- "Interoperability and the Surgery Department" on Wednesday, February 22nd at 9:45am.
"Our singular focus on the OR has helped our clients serve more patients, with greater efficiency, and with better outcomes," said Daihl. "The changes in the healthcare landscape will require hospitals to gain greater control of their surgical programs and SIS will be there to help."
Surgical Information Systems ("SIS") provides software solutions that are uniquely designed to add value at every point of the perioperative process. Developed specifically for the complex surgical environment, all SIS solutions – including anesthesia – are architected on a single database and integrate easily with other hospital systems. SIS offers the only surgical scheduling system and the only anesthesia information management system endorsed by the American Hospital Association (AHA), and analytics and rules-based charging products that have been granted Peer Reviewed status by the Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA). SIS is also the first AIMS provider to be designated as an AQI Preferred Vendor by the Anesthesia Quality Institute (AQI).
For more information visit our website, www.SISFirst.com.
SOURCE Surgical Information Systems