LOS ANGELES, June 9, 2016 A new national survey conducted by Meitu, one of the world's top photo retouch and beauty app developers, reveals that 33 percent of women – and perhaps more surprisingly – 20 percent of men, admit to editing their dating profile photos.
Putting your "best face forward" and making a good first impression has become even more complicated by online and mobile dating because they allow us to filter and represent ourselves in ways that may not be entirely honest.
And with so many photo editing tools at our disposal, it's easy to see why many on the dating scene might get carried away with their retouching. Perhaps this is why a whopping 47 percent of men and 27 percent of women have encountered a first date who looked nothing like their profile image.
1. First, many men and women edit their online dating profile photos
- 33 percent of women
- 20 percent of men
2. However, most only do moderate retouching
- Blemish removal (44 percent women / 28 percent men)
- Whitening teeth (18 percent women / 16 percent men)
- Lightening and darkening skin tone (28 percent women / 20 percent men)
3. And most are okay if others do some moderate retouching
- 71 percent of women
- 65 percent of men
4. But almost everyone agrees: reshaping faces and bodies in photos is NOT okay
- 98 percent of women
- 91 percent of men
5. Otherwise, you're likely to have a close encounter of the strange kind
- 27 percent of women and 47 percent of men and have encountered a first date who looked nothing like their dating profile image
To avoid surprises on your first date, keep photo edits simple and natural. Getting rid of that random pimple, adding a little color to your pre-summer skin, or brightening your smile is all good. But avoid anything that's going to make you, well, less you.
Survey methodology: This survey was commissioned by Meitu, a leading developer of photo retouch and virtual make-up apps, and includes responses from 250 U.S. men and women, ages 18-34 who have used online and mobile dating apps.
Meitu is a leading mobile internet company that aims at building an ecosystem for users to discover, create and share beauty. Meitu's apps, including MeituPic, Meipai, SelfieCity, BeautyCam, BeautyPlus, Airbrush and MakeupPlus, are installed on over a billion unique devices worldwide. The company is a top ten global app developer on the Apple AppStore. More information about Meitu can be found at http://en.meitu.com
For more information, please contact:
Post & Beam