BATTLE CREEK, Mich., July 28, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- After a challenging season of trials and qualification, all Team Kellogg's athletes have officially been named to Team USA. Through their dedication, hard work and perseverance, Team Kellogg's has proven they have what it takes to represent the United States at the 2016 Olympic Games as first-time Olympians. By showcasing what gets them started each day, the athletes have shown fans firsthand what drives them towards their Team USA aspirations, and gets them through the daily grind of training and competition.
"It has been thrilling to watch Team Kellogg's transition from Team USA hopefuls to official first-time Team USA members. By examining what gets them started, we've learned what inspires these athletes to push themselves to success in their sports and in life," said Noel Geoffroy, Senior Vice President, Marketing & Innovation for Kellogg's® U.S. Morning Foods. "We are extremely proud of Team Kellogg's accomplishments over the past few months and wish them the best of luck on their Road To Rio."
Kellogg's is excited to announce the newest member of Team Kellogg's and Team USA. First-time Olympian in men's basketball, Jimmy Butler, has been a partner of the company for several years and a natural addition to Team Kellogg's. Butler joins the existing Kellogg's team which is made up of first-time U.S. Olympic athletes: Ajee' Wilson (track and field - 800m), Julie Johnston (soccer), Simone Biles (gymnastics) and Tom Shields (swimming – 100 and 200m fly). While the official Team USA Paralympic announcement comes out in a few weeks, Natalie Bieule has been nominated for Rio, having placed first in U.S. Paralympic discus trials in early July.
"I'm really excited share my first Olympic Games experience with Team USA and my fellow Team Kellogg's members," said Simone Biles. "Kellogg's has helped get me started since I was a kid, so I'm proud to be representing their team with this incredible group of athletes. We are all very excited to experience Rio in August."
More About Team Kellogg's
Fans can view what gets Team Kellogg's athletes' started through a series of "What Gets You Started?" videos, which follow their journeys to the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games. To learn more, visit Kelloggs.com/teamusa.
- Team Kellogg's Captain
- Dara Torres – Swimming Legend
- First swimmer to represent the U.S. in five Olympic games
- 12-time Olympic medalist and former world-record holder in three events
- At age 41, was the oldest swimmer to earn a place on the U.S. Olympic team
- #GetsMeStarted: Inspiring the next generation of Olympic hopefuls
- Dara Torres – Swimming Legend
- Ajee' Wilson: Track and Field – 800m
- When the starter's gun fires and Ajee' Wilson takes off, she's running for everyone who has supported her along the way. From her hometown in Neptune, N.J. where her mother joked Ajee' was "everybody's daughter," to Philadelphia where her coach has rallied the entire community around her - it's not the resulting medals that push Ajee' towards the finish line, it's the people that will be there cheering for her.
- #GetsMeStarted: Her community support system
- Julie Johnston: Soccer
- For defender Julie Johnston, she doesn't just give her all on the field. Everything she does in life—whether it's competing against her fiancé, running drills during practice, or helping to bring the Women's World Cup trophy to the U.S. Women's National Team home turf—she's all in.
- #GetsMeStarted: Seeing every day as a new opportunity to give it her all
- Natalie Bieule: Paralympic Discus
- When Natalie Bieule lost part of her leg in a car accident, she refused to sit back and let greatness pass her by. Today, she's a rising star in the discus ranks. But it's about more than medals for this supermom. Natalie works hard every day to show her daughters there's nothing she can't do, in hopes that they'll see there's nothing they can't do.
- #GetsMeStarted: Her daughters
- Simone Biles: Gymnastics
- As one of the best gymnasts in the world and one of the most decorated in American history, Simone Biles sets the bar high. This three-time all around World Champion even has her own signature move! So to get away from it all, she goes to … the gym. It's there with her teammates that Simone truly has fun and enjoys the sport. It's good to surround yourself with winners, on and off the mat.
- #GetsMeStarted: Her teammates
- Tom Shields: Swimming – 100 and 200m butterfly
- After racking up multiple medals and records, it's clear Tom Shields is no stranger to hard work. But he knows there's more to life than competing. When the goggles come off, Tom finds his balance in and out of the water as an avid surfer and yoga enthusiast, all of which help him to focus on his one singular goal— beating his personal best time.
- #GetsMeStarted: Whatever helps him clear his mind and focus on the pool
- Jimmy Butler: Basketball
- This five year NBA veteran and current guard/forward on the Chicago Bulls has established himself as a superstar on the court, making the All Star team for two straight years. Off the court, Jimmy volunteers his time to troubled youth and underserved families in Chicago. In 2015 Jimmy received the NBA Most Improved Player Award and has been named to the Team USA basketball roster as a first-time Olympian in 2016.
- #GetsMeStarted: Inspiring youth back home to give it their all
- Click to tweet: Congrats #TeamKelloggs for making #TeamUSA! We look forward to seeing you in Rio! #GetsMeStarted
- Click to tweet: Celebrate #TeamKelloggs and show what #GetsMeStarted on the way to #Rio. View the athletes' stories here: kelloggs.com/teamusa #TeamUSA
About Kellogg Company
At Kellogg Company (NYSE: K), we strive to make foods people love. This includes our beloved brands – Kellogg's®, Keebler®, Special K®, Pringles®, Kellogg's Frosted Flakes®, Pop-Tarts®, Kellogg's Corn Flakes®, Rice Krispies®, Cheez-It®, Eggo®, Mini-Wheats® and more – that nourish families so they can flourish and thrive. With 2015 sales of $13.5 billion and more than 1,600 foods, Kellogg is the world's leading cereal company; second largest producer of cookies, crackers and savory snacks; and a leading North American frozen foods company. Through our Breakfasts for Better DaysTM global hunger initiative, we've provided more than 1.4 billion servings of cereal and snacks to children and families in need around the world. To learn more, visit www.kelloggcompany.com or follow us on Twitter @KelloggCompany, YouTube and on Social K.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/team-kelloggs-athletes-make-team-usa-roster-for-rio-2016-olympic-games-300305671.html
SOURCE Kellogg Company