WASHINGTON, Aug. 8, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- truth®, the nation's largest youth smoking prevention campaign, is teaming up with the brand new and increasingly popular YouTube channel You Offend Me You Offend My Family (YOMYOMF) Network by having a presence at the finale of Internet Icon, a reality challenge contest focused on producing short videos and finding the next big Internet star.
The YOMYOMF Network officially launched in June this year. The channel, based on the pop culture blog YouOffendMeYouOffendMyFamily, features video and content from top content creators including partners Justin Lin, director of the Fast and Furious films, and YouTube stars Ryan Higa, Kevin Wu and Chester See. The YOMYOMF Network brings innovative Asian American-centric entertainment that merges Hollywood and YouTube, and is already one of YouTube's most established and well-known channels.
On Tuesday, August 14 in Los Angeles, the winner of the channel's Internet Icon will be announced. Icon contestants compete in a series of challenges designed to highlight their creativity and filmmaking skills – all in an effort to become the next big Internet star. Chester See, YouTube personality and musician, hosts the show. YouTube sensation Ryan Higa and actress Christine Lakin judge the contestants. Andy Fickman's Oops Doughnuts Productions produces the show. D-trix, from America's Best Dance Crew, and Andrew Garcia, a top ten finalist on American Idol, will be performing at the finale. Comedian Kassem G, known for his online series California On and Going Deep, will join Ryan and Christine as a guest judge.
Working with the YOMYOMF Network is part of truth's strategy to have a presence where teens naturally gather – whether through music and sporting events across the country (touring), having a robust presence online, or working through popular media channels to engage with teens and young adults and share lifesaving messages about tobacco use. With 80 percent of adult smokers starting to smoke before the age of 18, truth aims to reach young people with facts and information before they make the decision to smoke.
"YouTube garners more than four billion views per day and the YOMYOMF Network is one of the fastest rising original channels in YouTube history," said Nicole Dorrler, Assistant Vice President of Marketing at Legacy®. "Teaming up with YOMYOMF gives truth exposure to its more than 400,000 subscribers – extending and deepening our conversation with teens about tobacco and the harms of its use."
The live finale of Internet Icon will feature several truth elements:
- Tahir Moore, a contestant, aspiring comedian and former truth brand ambassador, will host "truth orange carpet" interviews with finalists and celebrity guests.
- Mandy Jiroux, singer, dancer and member of BG5 will serve as truth's "fashion correspondent" on the orange carpet.
- Before the airing of the Internet Icon finalist videos, theatergoers will see the teaser "Honey" for truth's next mobile game Flavor Monsters.
- Attendees will receive truth-branded 'gear' from this year's tour in gift bags. Each summer, truth tours the county with popular musical, sporting and gaming events – meeting thousands of teens where they naturally gather. At each stop, truth brand ambassadors distribute truth "gear" – fashionable and trendy items reflecting tobacco messages.
- Online at truth's Facebook page – www.facebook.com/truthorange – Fans will be polled as to the winner of Internet Icon.
"YOMYOMF and truth are providing innovative content that connects with youth who are the drivers behind the success of online content and youth tobacco prevention," said Pradeepa Jeeva, Head of Production for the YOMYOMF Network.
- For more information on YOMYOMF, visit www.youtube.com/YOMYOMF
- For more information on truth, visit www.youtube.com/truthorange
- For more information on Ryan Higa, visit www.youtube.com/nigahiga
- For more information on Christine Lakin, visit http://www.hulu.com/lovin-lakin
- For more information on Chester See, visit www.youtube.com/chestersee
- For more information on D-trix, visit www.youtube.com/theDOMINICshow
- For more information on Andrew Garcia, visit www.youtube.com/andrewagarcia
- For more information on Kassem G, visit www.youtube.com/KassemG
- For more information on Mandy Jiroux, visit www.thebg5.com/
BACKGROUND ON THE truth CAMPAIGN
truth®, launched in February 2000, is the largest national youth smoking prevention campaign and the only national campaign not directed by the tobacco industry. The campaign exposes the tactics of the tobacco industry, the truth about addiction, and the health effects and social consequences of smoking. truth allows teens to make informed choices about tobacco use by giving them the facts about the industry and its products.
truth® is the largest national youth smoking prevention campaign and the only national campaign not directed by the tobacco industry. The campaign exposes the tactics of the tobacco industry, the truth about addiction, and the health effects and social consequences of smoking. truth gives teens facts and information about the tobacco industry and its products, allowing them to make their own informed choices about tobacco use. Research-proven as an effective public health intervention, the campaign is credited with keeping hundreds of thousands of teens from starting to smoke. To learn more, visit www.thetruth.com. truth is directed and funded by Legacy, a national public health foundation located in Washington, D.C. Legacy was created as a result of the November 1998 Master Settlement Agreement (MSA) reached between attorneys general from 46 states, five U.S. territories and the tobacco industry. To learn more about Legacy's life-saving programs, visit www.LegacyForHealth.org.
Follow us on Twitter @truthPR.
SOURCE The truth Campaign