SAN DIEGO, Jan. 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- A leading innovator of energy management, communication and control solutions for the smart grid, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today announced 60 new fully integrated metering SoCs to be demonstrated at DistribuTECH 2013. The MSP430F677x SoCs can achieve electricity measurement accuracy that meets or exceeds global regulatory requirements for smart polyphase e-meters including IEC 62053-22 and ANSI C12.20 Class 0.2 standards. In addition, the large integrated memory on MSP430F677x SoCs enables more sophisticated metering features; while advanced anti-tampering protection helps electric utilities prevent power theft and meter manipulation.
To achieve the highest level of meter accuracy, an enhanced analog front end (AFE) with up to seven 24-bit sigma-delta data converters on the MSP430F677x SoCs provides class-leading accuracy across a full 2000:1 input current range throughout -40 degrees C to +85 degrees C. Combined with up to 512KB Flash and 32KB SRAM memory integrated on-chip, developers can incorporate more sophisticated metering features like dynamic pricing tables for time of use, large buffer for interval data, DLMS/COSEM for meter data formatting, and communication stacks for both wired and wireless protocols.
To protect electric utilities from energy theft and meter manipulation, the MSP430F677x SoCs include several advanced anti-tamper protection features. For example, dedicated pins associated with the on-chip real-time clock (RTC) detect and time-stamp meter tampering so utilities can easily track, reduce and prevent additional meter corruption. In addition, a 128-bit hardware-accelerated Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) module speeds encryption time compared to a traditional software implementation, improving meter security, performance and reducing energy consumption.
The new MSP430F677x SoCs, along with accompanying software support, make development quicker and more affordable. The free MSP430™ Energy Library code performs all of the polyphase meter calculations for energy and power that are required for ANSI/IEC qualified meters and provides an easy starting point for customers developing utility meter products. For more information on the new MSP430F677x SoCs, visit www.ti.com/f677x-pr-lp.
Additional features and benefits of MSP430F677x SoCs:
- Increased memory density allows developers to connect to wired and wireless communications standards including ZigBee, wM-Bus, PRIME, G3-PLC and RF mesh networks.
- Six configurable serial communications peripherals allow combination of four UART, six SPI or two I2C ports to allow connectivity to multiple wired communication standards.
- Integrated display drivers support 8-Mux 320-segment LCD controller enabling more detailed displays and extended language support.
- 128-bit hardware-accelerated AES module speeds encryption time compared to a traditional software implementation and allows for secured wired and wireless communication.
Pricing and availability
Developers can immediately begin evaluating MSP430F677x SoCs with the EVM430-F6779 polyphase e-metering evaluation module for USD $299. Polyphase MSP430F677x (AES) SoCs and MSP430F6779x (non-AES) SoCs start at $6.60 for 1Ku units. Please contact your TI Smart Grid sales representative for more order information.
Visit TI @ DistribuTECH 2013
DistribuTECH is the utility industry's leading smart grid conference and exposition. Stop by booth 943 to see TI's Smart Grid demonstrations, solutions and meet our Smart Grid experts. Be sure to also follow @TXInstruments on Twitter and TI Microcontrollers on Facebook for exclusive show updates!
TI's Smart Grid solutions
With millions of energy meter ICs shipped over the past decade, Texas Instruments is the global systems provider for innovative, secure, economical and future-proof solutions for the worldwide smart grid. TI offers the industry's broadest smart grid portfolio of metrology expertise, application processors, communication systems, wireless connectivity and analog components in readily available silicon, with advanced software, tools and support for compliant solutions in grid infrastructure, utility metering and home or building automation. Learn more at www.ti.com/smartgrid.
Find out more about TI's smart grid metering solutions
- TI's smart grid solutions: www.ti.com/smartgrid
- TI's new smart grid solutions guide: http://www.ti.com/f677x-pr-sg
- TI's MSP430F677x overview video: www.ti.com/f677x-pr-vid
- TI's smart e-meter solutions: www.ti.com/f677x-pr-em
- Smart Grid E2E community: www.ti.com/f677x-pr-e2e
- TI's eStore: www.ti.com/f677x-pr-evm
- Texas Instruments on Facebook: www.ti.com/facebook
- Texas Instruments on Twitter: www.ti.com/twitter
- Texas Instruments on Google+: www.ti.com/googleplus
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
MSP430 and TI E2E are trademarks of Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI). All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated