SANTA MONICA, Calif., April 2, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas is forging its way to national leadership in medical technology and the Medical Design & Manufacturing (MD&M) Conference, set for May 7-8 at the Fort Worth Convention Center, will accelerate this progress.
According to the Texas Biotechnology Industry Report, published by the State of Texas:
- Approximately 800 firms employed more than 15,200 workers in medtech. This places Texas among the nation's top 10 states for medtech employment.
- More than a dozen Fortune 1000 medical device giants have manufacturing or management operations in the state, including Abbott Laboratories, Agilent Technologies, GE, Johnson & Johnson, Medtronic, St. Jude Medical, Stryker, and Thermo Fisher Scientific.
- Venture capital firms have invested approximately $550 million in 89 Texas medical device deals.
It's this promising medtech environment that has motivated MD&M to return to Texas. The event will:
- Provide practical solutions to challenges faced by large and small medtech companies
- Attract more than 2,000 industry professionals who will see, experience and learn about breakthroughs that are revolutionizing the industry
- Feature more than 550 exhibitors, 2 business-driven learning labs and 24 educational programs
To address industry-specific issues, six other expos will be held in conjunction with MD&M Texas:
- PLASTEC Texas will focus on plastics processing machinery, auxiliary equipment, molds, molding components, materials, and services providers.
- Design & Manufacturing Texas will focus on software solutions including rapid prototyping, design services, custom molding, machining and components, and more.
- TexasPack will focus on packaging equipment, materials, and contract services for packaging and processing food, beverage, consumer, and industrial products.
- Quality Expo Texas will focus on the newest tools and technologies to ensure quality, reduce costs, and streamline manufacturing.
- ATX Texas will showcase the latest lean-manufacturing, cost-reduction, and productivity products and technologies.
- AeroCon will focus on aerospace, aviation, defense, and related industries.
"Texas is optimally positioned to launch itself to top leadership in medical technology and we will provide the platform, through knowledge and networking, to support this" says Stephen Corrick, Executive Vice President-Medical Portfolio Director of UBM Canon Medical Portfolio which directs the MD&M events nationwide. "The State of Texas has demonstrated its commitment to funding both academic and commercial resources; MD&M Texas will highlight this advancement by bringing the state's leading resources together for two days in Fort Worth."
For more information or to register, visit http://mdmtexas.mddionline.com/?cid=pr.tsm.medi.tsnr.ftw.mdmt.pr1
About MD&M Texas
MD&M Texas is part of the Medical Design & Manufacturing conference and exposition series that brings engaging, relevant content to leading medtech markets nationwide, including MD&M West (Anaheim, Calif.), MD&M East (New York, N.Y.), MD&M Chicago (Schaumburg, Ill.) and MD&M Minneapolis. The series also includes local events in San Jose, CA and Boston, MA under the BIOMEDevice brand.
About UBM Canon
UBM Canon, the leading B2B media company dedicated exclusively to the global $3.0 trillion advanced manufacturing sector, helps support the flow of information, commerce and innovation in such sophisticated segments as medical devices and pharmaceutical development. UBM Canon also addresses cutting-edge developments in broader areas of advanced engineering design and manufacturing, and manufacturing processes and packaging. UBM Canon is part of UBM plc (UBM.L) a global provider of media and information services for professional B2B communities and markets. For more information, go to http://ubmcanon.com?cid=pr.tsm.medi.tsnr.ftw.mdmt.pr1.
SOURCE UBM Canon