CINCINNATI, Nov. 23, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- No other day of the year is as busy for plumbers and drain cleaners as the day after Thanksgiving. Big holiday meal preparation and after dinner cleanup create "the perfect storm" for plumbers who stay extra busy unclogging kitchen sinks, disposals and toilets. And while shoppers and retailers call it Black Friday, many plumbers not so affectionately refer to the day after Thanksgiving as "Brown Friday" because of the dirty sink water and sewage they are called upon to deal with.
According to Roto-Rooter, the world's largest provider of plumbing repair and sewer & drain services, "Brown Friday" is its busiest day of the year. The company's incoming calls for service increase by 50 percent over an average Friday and it sees a 21 percent uptick in business over any other Thursday through Sunday period during the year. "Houses full of holiday guests take extra showers and flush more toilets, so that alone puts a strain on many residential drain systems," said Paul Abrams, spokesman for Roto-Rooter. "But once the kitchen gets busy and the sink and disposal start receiving peelings, rice, poultry skin and oily turkey drippings, things start clogging up fast," he added.
Roto-Rooter will be appropriately staffed on Thanksgiving and fully staffed on Friday to deal with extra service calls. Indeed, virtually every Roto-Rooter service technician will be working on "Brown Friday," saving customers from long waits and outrageous holiday service charges.
To avoid a visit from the plumber over the holiday weekend, follow these tips:
- Don't pour fats or cooking oils down drains. They solidify in pipes and choke drains.
- Never put stringy, fibrous or starchy waste down the garbage disposal. Disposals can handle most scraps in small quantities but it's best to toss most food waste into the trash can or compost pile.
- Make sure the disposal is running when you feed it food scraps.
- Don't flush cotton balls or wet wipes down toilets. They don't dissolve and will cause clogs.
- Place a waste basket in the bathroom so your guests won't flush these items.
Avoid the drama of Thanksgiving clogs, watch our dramatic new video.
Roto-Rooter operates businesses in more than 620 location serving the U.S. and Canada. www.RotoRooter.com
Video - http://youtu.be/ZGarTp63tLk