WASHINGTON, Dec. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The Advisory Board Company announced on Wednesday 25 winners for two categories of employee engagement awards that honor the top-performing hospitals and health systems across the nation.
"As hospitals shift from volume-based to value-based care, employee engagement plays a key role in how effectively each institution makes this transformation," said Steven Berkow, Executive Director, Research and Insights at The Advisory Board Company. "These 25 winning institutions have attained a remarkable achievement as the most successful hospitals in surpassing two benchmarks that are medians for our national survey database: at least 37% engaged employees with 6% or fewer disengaged employees."
The Advisory Board Company defines engaged employees as ones who exhibit both loyalty and commitment to the organization. These employees are willing to expend discretionary effort to help the organization succeed, often placing the organization's goals ahead of their own individual goals. Two-way communication, organization-wide transparency, and employee recognition are among the key attributes the award winners demonstrated in driving employee engagement.
The Advisory Board Company named 20 winners of the Excellence in Engagement Award and five winners of the Exceptional Improvement in Engagement Award from among hospitals surveyed between January 2011 and July 2012.
This year's Excellence in Engagement Award winners exhibit the highest percentage of engaged employees, and this year's Exceptional Improvement in Engagement Award winners exhibit the greatest growth in percentage of engaged employees. Winners in both categories have a percentage of disengaged employees below the national median of 6% for hospitals in The Advisory Board Company's national survey database.
The Excellence in Engagement Award winners, in alphabetical order, include:
- Beaumont Health System (Royal Oak, Mich.)
- Brooks Rehabilitation Hospital (Jacksonville, Fla.)
- Citrus Valley Health Partners (Covina, Calif.)
- Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula (Monterrey, Calif.)
- Crete Area Medical Center (Crete, Neb.)
- Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems (Bangor, Maine)
- Genesis HealthCare System (Zanesville, Ohio)
- Gillette Children's Specialty Healthcare (St. Paul, Minn.)
- Harnett Health (Dunn, N.C.)
- Lakeland HealthCare (St. Joseph, Mich.)
- MaineGeneral Health (Augusta, Maine)
- Memorial Hospital (Belleville, Ill.)
- Morris Hospital & Healthcare Centers (Morris, Ill.)
- St. Luke's Episcopal Health System (Houston)
- Southeast Alabama Medical Center (Dothan, Ala.)
- Uintah Basin Medical Center (Roosevelt, Utah)
- Valley View Hospital (Glenwood Springs, Colo.)
- Yale New Haven Health System (New Haven, Conn.)
The Exceptional Improvement in Engagement Award winners, in alphabetical order, include:
- Bayhealth Medical Center (Dover, Del.)
- Covenant HealthCare (Saginaw, Mich.)
- Elkhart General Hospital (Elkhart, Ind.)
- Evergreen Health (Kirkland, Wash.)
- Regional Health (Rapid City, S.D.)
For more information on The Advisory Board Company's work in employee engagement, please visit the employee engagement homepage of the Advisory.com website. Hospital and health system executives may request a free copy of The Advisory Board Company's employee engagement benchmarking report, which reviews key trends in employee engagement levels and driver performance across the last three years.
About The Advisory Board Company
The Advisory Board Company is a global research, technology, and consulting firm partnering with 150,000 leaders in 3,700 organizations across health care and higher education. Through its innovative membership model, the firm collaborates with executives and their teams to elevate performance and solve their most pressing challenges. The company provides strategic guidance, actionable insights, web-based software solutions, and comprehensive implementation and management services. For more information about The Advisory Board Company, visit http://www.advisory.com.
SOURCE The Advisory Board Company