NEW YORK, Feb. 9, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Last night, executives from Procter & Gamble, GlaxoSmithKline, Nestle USA, Colgate-Palmolive Company, S.C. Johnson, Kimberly-Clark, Mars Petcare, as well as other consumer brands learned about retail and consumer insights at the 2011 Product of the Year USA awards ceremony.
Supermarket Guru® Phil Lempert and TNS Scientific Advisor for Global Retail & Shopper Practice Herb Sorensen, served as guest speakers delivering market trends while Chicago Improv comedians, Kate James and Greg Mills, served as hosts delivering laugh-out-loud jokes at the New York City event that honored this year's winners from Jimmy Dean®, M&M'S®, McCormick, Air Wick, Pantene Pro-V, U by Kotex, LYSOL®, Lipton, Gillette®, Pampers and The LISTERINE® Brand among other brands who were recognized by consumers for product innovation in the marketplace.
"Consumers are smarter than ever and watching what they spend more intelligently," said Phil Lempert, the Supermarket Guru®. "Even though mobile devices and social networks offer just about every product review possible, it is still the "human" social network that is the most powerful. With over 60,000 shoppers voting on the most innovative for a Product of the Year award, there is not a better recommendation."
As part of the nationwide survey with 60,000 shoppers conducted by TNS, Product of the Year winners receive a robust research study providing the latest insights into the mind of today's consumer. According to this survey, 80 percent of consumers are willing to try new products while 68 percent of shoppers say a consumer voted award means more for a new product than an expert's opinion. Recommendations from friends or family positively impacts purchase interest amongst close to half the population.
"Even though modern-day consumers are tasked with deciding which products to use on a regular basis, shoppers are willing to trust their peers when it comes to trying new products that provide great value," said Herb Sorensen, TNS Scientific Advisor for Global Retail & Shopper Practice. "The Product of the Year seal is a giant recommendation to consumers, by consumers."
Hosted in 28 countries, Product of the Year is the world's largest consumer-voted program that recognizes innovation in consumer packaged goods. 2011 marks the third annual round of Product of the Year in the United States with over 60,000 American shoppers voting on products in a survey conducted by TNS, the world's largest custom research agency. The following products were voted Product of the Year in their category:
- PERSONAL CARE - Speed Stick® and Lady Speed Stick® Stainguard® Antiperspirant Deodorant - Colgate-Palmolive Company
- TOOTHPASTE - Aquafresh® iso-active® Whitening - GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare
- MOUTHWASH - LISTERINE® ZERO™, Johnson & Johnson Healthcare Products Division of McNEIL-PPC, Inc.
- FEMININE PRODUCTS - U by Kotex - Kimberly-Clark Corporation
- CANDY & SNACKS - M&M'S® Pretzel Chocolate Candies - Mars Chocolate North America
- FROZEN FOOD - Lean Cuisine® Market Creations - Nestle USA
- SPECIALTY FOODS - BUITONI® Riserva Frozen Complete Meals for Two - Nestle USA
- COOKING SPICES - Recipe Inspirations - McCormick & Company, Inc.
- BEVERAGE - Lipton Brisk - Pepsi-Lipton Partnership
- HAIR CARE - Pantene Pro-V Customized Solutions - Procter & Gamble
- HAIR STYLING - Pantene Pro-V Customized Solutions Stylers & Treatments - Procter & Gamble
- BABY CARE - Pampers Cruisers & Swaddlers - Procter & Gamble
- MALE GROOMING - Gillette® Fusion® ProGlide Power Razor - Procter & Gamble
- AIR CARE - Air Wick Air Freshener - Reckitt Benckiser
- PERSONAL HYGIENE - LYSOL® Healthy Touch® No-Touch Hand Soap System - Reckitt Benckiser
- BREAKFAST - Jimmy Dean® Hearty Sausage Crumbles - Sara Lee
- COOKING - Olivari Mediterranean Olive Oil - Sovena USA
- INSECTICIDE - Raid Max® Bug Barrier - S.C. Johnson & Son, Inc.
- PET FOOD - TEMPTATIONS® MixUps Treats for Cats- Mars Petcare U.S.
- PET HEALTH - GREENIES® JointCare Treats - The Nutro Company
- COSMETICS - MD Lash Factor Eyelash Conditioner - La Canada Ventures, Inc.
- AT HOME BEAUTY TREATMENT - no!no! Hair 8800 - Radiancy, Inc.
"Consumer packaged goods continue to demonstrate a need for the market to create products that enhance both consumer confidence and product loyalty," said Colleen Kelly, Managing Director of Product of the Year. "Product of the Year is pleased to offer consumers the ability to easily sift through and distinguish those brands that stand apart in the consumer packaged goods sector."
Shoppers nationwide will be able to recognize the winners starting in February of this year by looking for the red 'Product of the Year' stamp on packaging, in advertising and in-store displays. Last year's winners included products from Coca-Cola, S.C. Johnson, Tide, Clairol and Sprite among others who promoted their wins by efficiently wearing the red stamp.
For additional information / hi-res images of the Product of the Year USA winners for 2011, please visit www.productoftheyearusa.com
About Product of the Year:
Product of the Year is the only consumer product award that rewards innovation and is voted on by real consumers. Established 25 years ago in France, POY currently operates in 28 countries with the same purpose: Guide consumers to the best products in their market and reward manufacturers for quality and innovation. Backed by the votes of 60,000 consumers, the distinct red POY logo serves as shortcut for shoppers in the supermarket, saving them time and money. For manufacturers of the winning products, the award is a powerful marketing message proven to increase retail distribution and sales by an average of 10-15%. Product of the Year accepts entries every year from consumer packaged goods that demonstrate innovation and were launched within the previous year. Entered products are then placed into specific categories such as food, beverages, personal care, household care, etc. with a product then being chosen as a winner in its category through a nationally representative online study. For more information visit www.productoftheyearusa.com.
TNS, which recently merged with Research International, is the world's largest custom research agency, delivering actionable insights and research-based business advice to its clients so they can make more effective business decisions. TNS offers comprehensive industry knowledge within the Consumer, Technology, Finance, Automotive and Political & Social sectors, supported by a unique product offering that stretches across the entire range of marketing and business issues, specializing in product development & innovation, brand & communication, stakeholder management, retail & shopper, and qualitative research. Delivering best-in-class service across more than 70 countries, TNS is part of Kantar, the world's largest research, insight and consultancy network. Please visit www.tns-us.com for more information.
SOURCE Product of the Year