LOS ANGELES, May 17, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- To help make upcoming summer travel easier for the millions of Americans vacationing overseas, GOBankingRates surveyed some of the most popular travel destinations to create a guide to spending money abroad.
To access the Ultimate Money Guide for Traveling Abroad, visit:
The following eight factors were surveyed in 42 countries:
- Tipping etiquette
- The average cost of a dinner for two
- The best places to exchange currency
- Exchange rates
- Strength of the U.S. dollar
- ATM availability
- Acceptance of credit cards
- Acceptance of the U.S. dollar
"If you're planning a trip overseas, consider a destination where the dollar goes further so you'll get more bang for your buck," said Cameron Huddleston, Life + Money columnist for GOBankingRates. "It's also important to keep in mind whether the country you plan to visit accepts U.S. dollars because you could end up in trouble if you discover you're out of the local currency as you're about to pay for something."
Some stand-out findings:
- A dinner for two will cost an average of $104.72 in Switzerland, over 11 times what it would cost in India ($9.05).
- Peru, Belize and the Bahamas, among others, widely accept the U.S. dollar.
- For Americans looking to travel to a place where tipping isn't expected, Asia is the best bet.
- Although ATMs are prevalent in the majority of the countries surveyed, they are difficult to find in Cuba and are not provided on many of the smaller Greek islands.
Countries that accept the USD:
- Costa Rica
- Jamaica (at major shops and hotels)
- Singapore (at major shops and hotels)
- Vietnam (at major shops and hotels)
Countries where tipping isn't traditional:
- New Zealand
- South Korea
Traveling to Europe this summer? Check out our printable spending cheat sheet, covering everything from tipping etiquette to ATM availability in 16 European countries: http://www.gobankingrates.com/personal-finance/ultimate-spending-guide-europe/
GOBankingRates.com is a leading portal for personal finance and consumer banking information, offering visitors the latest on everything from finding a good interest rate to strategies for saving money, investing for retirement, and getting a loan. Its editors are regularly featured on top-tier media outlets, including U.S. News & World Report, Forbes, Business Insider, Daily Finance, and more. It specializes in connecting consumers with the best financial institutions and banking products nationwide.
Katie Johnston, Media Relations
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-ultimate-guide-to-spending-your-money-in-42-countries-this-summer-300268188.html