DALLAS, Aug. 9, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- AT&T* has been awarded a contract by the U.S. Navy to deploy a nationwide 9-1-1 Routing and Management Service (9-1-1 RMS) call-routing and handling solution.
Under the contract, AT&T will be working with the U.S. Navy's emergency communications department to deploy the 9-1-1 RMS network to meet key emergency communication requirements, which are based on the National Emergency Number Association (NENA) i3 standard for next generation 9-1-1 networks. The highly secure service will route emergency calls from Naval facilities in the continental U.S to one of six Regional Dispatch Centers, where calls will be answered using state-of-the-art equipment and services.
This innovative solution provides significant advantages to the Navy in handling emergency conditions, and will provide the foundation for future capabilities as envisioned in the i3 standard. With AT&T next-generation innovation, the six Regional Dispatch Centers can create perimeters around emergencies in each of the 90+ bases.
The solution will provide:
- Innovative call center operator tools to respond to calls and to dispatch first responders faster by giving them the ability to:
- Gain quick access to caller information
- Generate reports on call handling
- The ability to re-route calls from one Naval Dispatch Center to another in case of natural disaster or other catastrophic event. If one of the six Regional Dispatch Centers is damaged in a disaster and unable to receive calls the system is designed to automatically re-route those calls to another location for processing. This makes sure that constituents in the impacted area who need help are able to connect with first responders and receive the care they require.
- Automatic transfers of calls made during a catastrophe that would normally be disconnected. If a constituent is in the middle of a conversation with a 9-1-1 operator and a natural disaster or other event happens that would normally cause the call to disconnect, the call is re-routed to another Naval Dispatch Center without being dropped. This allows the caller to maintain a continuous conversation with operators during a critical moment.
"We're honored to deliver services that can aid in an emergency, especially to those who are in service to our country," said John Klebonis, Vice President – Department of Defense Segment, AT&T Government Solutions. "AT&T was an integral part of launching the original 9-1-1 services, so it is fitting that we are now providing the next generation of 9-1-1 to the U.S. Navy to bring the emergency service up to today's standards and beyond."
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) is a premier communications holding company and one of the most honored companies in the world. Its subsidiaries and affiliates – AT&T operating companies – are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and around the world. With a powerful array of network resources that includes the nation's fastest mobile broadband network, AT&T is a leading provider of wireless, Wi-Fi, high speed Internet, voice and cloud-based services. A leader in mobile broadband and emerging 4G capabilities, AT&T also offers the best wireless coverage worldwide of any U.S. carrier, offering the most wireless phones that work in the most countries. It also offers advanced TV services under the AT&T U-verse® and AT&T │DIRECTV brands. The company's suite of IP-based business communications services is one of the most advanced in the world.
Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at http://www.att.com. This AT&T news release and other announcements are available at http://www.att.com/newsroom and as part of an RSS feed at www.att.com/rss. Or follow our news on Twitter at @ATT.
© 2012 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. Mobile broadband not available in all areas. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE AT&T Inc.