DALLAS, March 15, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE :TXN ) today introduced the industry's first Class H VDSL line driver in full production. Compared to Class AB alternatives, the gated, dual-port THS6226 consumes 47 percent less power, a critical requirement for the high-density VDSL applications used in high-speed broadband networks. And by offering a digitally adjustable quiescent current, the THS6226 line driver allows for optimum power savings while still achieving high linearity and low distortion. The THS6226 also simplifies product sourcing and design by covering all VDSL profiles with a single line driver. For more information and to order samples of the THS6226, visit: www.ti.com/ths6226-pr.
"The best-in-class power consumption of TI's THS6226 VDSL line driver allows Lantiq to deliver a complete VDSL reference system with the enhanced power performance our customers require," said Johannes Eiblmeier, head of marketing of Lantiq's Access Networks Business Unit. "When used together, our newest generation VINAX™ V3 VDSL chipset and TI's THS6226 set a new benchmark for system power consumption and integration while providing flexibility to use one line card for all VDSL profiles."
Key features and benefits
- Single Class H solution provides lowest power consumption for all VDSL profiles, as low as 350 mW for 17a profile.
- Adjustable quiescent current of 7.6 mA to 23.5 mA with a current step of 1 mA provides designers flexibility to fine-tune the power control.
- Offers low multi-tone power ratio (MTPR) distortion of 70 dB with 19.8 dBm for VDSL2 profile 8b to help maintain signal fidelity.
- Integrates an input biasing circuit and all gain and feedback resistors to reduce system board space and cost.
- Wide output swing on +12-V power supplies, coupled with excellent current drive, allows for up to 20-dBm output power into the load.
Tools and support
TI offers a variety of free tools and support to speed development with the THS6226, including:
- A SPICE-based simulation program for designing, testing, and troubleshooting a broad variety of basic and advanced circuits, including complex architectures, without any node or number of device limitations.
- Software for application and calculation utilities, including an active filter design application and a fully differential amplifier component calculator.
Availability and pricing
The THS6226 VDSL line driver is available now in a 5-mm x 5-mm QFN package, priced at $1.50 in quantities of 1,000.
Find out more about TI's high-speed amplifier portfolio by visiting the links below:
- Order THS6226 samples: www.ti.com/ths6226s-pr
- Download the data sheet: www.ti.com/ths6226ds-pr
- Ask questions, help solve problems in the High Speed Amplifier forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/e2ehsa-pr
- Download the new Analog Signal Chain Guide, including amplifiers, data converters, interface, clocks, timing and wireless connectivity: www.ti.com/signalchainguide-pr
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 80,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated