DALLAS, March 4, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) today introduced the industry's first floating-point microcontroller (MCU) for extreme temperature operation from -55 degrees Celsius to 210 degrees Celsius. Exceeding the traditional 150 degrees Celsius limit for other high-temperature semiconductors, the SM320F28335-HT Delfino 32-bit MCU provides high-reliability, high-performance, real-time measurement and control for manufacturers of electronics operating in harsh and hot environments, such as downhole drilling, commercial jet engines, motor control, military applications, and medical instruments and surgical tools requiring sterilization.
The SM320F28335-HT Delfino MCU is based on TI's popular TMS320C2000™ MCU platform, which combines control peripheral integration and embedded flash memory with the processing power of a 32-bit floating-point architecture. Enabling operation at up to 210 degrees Celsius eliminates the need for expensive up-screening and qualification tests of industrial grade MCUs, allowing for faster design of applications operating in harsh environments and cutting development time by up to one year. Packaging options, such as ceramic and Known Good Die (KGD), provide the smallest form factors for space-constrained applications.
Tools, availability and packaging
The SM320F28335-HT is the latest addition to TI's full portfolio of analog and embedded processing solutions for high-temperature environments. The device is available today in a hermetic ceramic pin grid array package. Pricing is $406.25 in 100-unit quantities.
The TMS320F28335 Experimenter Kit, which is based on the commercial grade, code-compatible version of the F28335 Delfino MCU, is also immediately available for experimentation and code development for the new high-temperature version. The kit is priced at $99.
For complete product and tool information, visit www.ti.com/SM320F28335-HT-pr
Key features and benefits
- Operation from -55 degrees Celsius to 210 degrees Celsius for extreme temperature applications
- Integrated 32-bit floating-point unit with 100-MHz CPU speed provides six times higher performance for real-time measurement and control than existing high-temperature solutions
- 512 KB of embedded flash memory and 68 KB internal RAM
- Integrated control-oriented peripherals to enable high precision
- Six high-resolution PWM outputs at 150 ps
- High-speed 16-channel 12-bit ADC
- Flexible packaging options to meet different environmental needs:
- High-temperature 181-pin ceramic PGA for 210 degrees Celsius operation
- KGD option for smallest package integration and multi-chip modules
Find out more about SM320F28335-HT and TI's high-temperature products:
- Download the datasheet and order SM320F28335-HT development kits and samples at www.ti.com/SM320F28335-HT-pr
- View TI's full portfolio of high-temperature ICs and related system block diagrams: www.ti.com/hightemp-pr
- Ask questions, share knowledge and help solve problems with fellow engineers in the TI E2E™ High Reliability Community: www.ti.com/hirelforum-pr
- Download TI's Harsh Environments Guide: http://www.ti.com/lit/sgzt009
- Start developing with C2000 MCU tools: www.ti.com/c2000tools
About high-reliability and high-temperature components from TI
Customers count on TI's high-reliability expertise and the industry's broadest portfolio of analog and embedded processing products to provide complete semiconductor solutions and value-added services for challenging or extreme environments in industrial, space, aerospace, defense, medical and consumer markets. TI offers solutions and services for extended temperature ranges for -55 degrees Celsius up to 220 degrees Celsius, radiation hardened designs, baseline control, extended product life cycles, obsolescence mitigation, quality conformance to military standards, ITAR flow support and in-house process technology. TI's high-reliability packaging capabilities include ceramic, plastic and Known Good Die (KGD) wafer solutions. More at www.ti.com/hirel.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 80,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be - smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
Delfino, C2000 and TI E2E are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated