DALLAS, Jan. 25 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) today introduced its first dual-output fully synchronous SWIFT™ power management integrated circuit. The TPS54290 1.5-A/2.5-A converter simplifies power design in consumer electronics with a 12-V power supply, such as a set top box or digital TV. See: www.ti.com/tps54290-pr.
The SWIFT device operates from a 4.5-V to 18-V input supply voltage, and supports output voltages as low as 0.8 V with a 90 percent power efficiency rating. The TPS54290 is set at a fixed frequency of 300 kHz. Two other family members, the TPS54291 and TPS54292, provide switching frequencies of 600 kHz and 1.2 MHz, further reducing the DC/DC solution size.
Key features and benefits of TPS54290:
- Dual output synchronous buck converter with four integrated MOSFETs provides fully synchronous conversion with 90 percent efficiency, while using 35 percent less board space compared to non-synchronous conversion solutions.
- Current mode control simplifies external compensation, giving the designer greater flexibility when choosing different types of output capacitors.
- 180 degrees out-of-phase operation minimizes ripple current through the input capacitor. Input capacitance is reduced by up to 50 percent, which helps lessen electromagnetic interference.
Availability and pricing
TPS54290, TPS54291 and TPS54292 SWIFT converters are available in volume now from TI and its authorized distributors with a suggested resale price of $2.95 in 1,000-unit quantities. Samples, evaluation modules and application notes are available.
Find out more about SWIFT™ converters by visiting the links below:
- TI's SWIFT DC/DC converters: www.ti.com/swift-pr
- Order TPS5429x evaluation modules and samples: www.ti.com/tps54290-pr
- TI's complete power management portfolio: www.ti.com/power-pr
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through design, sales and manufacturing operations in more than 30 countries. For more information, go to www.ti.com.
All trademarks and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated