DALLAS, Jan. 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced an octal, 12-bit, 100-MSPS analog-to-digital converter (ADC) that provides the lowest power consumption in its class. The ADS5295 uses less than 80 mW per channel, which diminishes board heat and power dissipation in higher-channel-density applications. It incorporates TI's unique digital processing block, which combines commonly used digital functions to help improve signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) and filter harmonics while reducing output data rate for narrow-band applications. The ADS5295 can be used in phase-array architecture systems with higher channel counts, such as ultrasound, security x-ray and non-destructive testing (NDT) applications. For more information, visit www.ti.com/ads5295-pr.
Key features and benefits of the ADS5295
- Lowest power per channel for the speed, with low noise: Using only 80 mW-per-channel at 100 MSPS and eight channels, it enables designers to increase channel count without increasing power dissipation high-density applications, while still achieving a low noise of 71 decibel full scale (dBFS) SNR.
- Reduced system cost and complexity: TI's highly integrated digital processing block integrates commonly used digital functions, such as a low-frequency noise suppression mode, digital filtering options and programmable mapping of low-voltage differential signaling (LVDS) output pins. This lowers FPGA cost and simplifies LVDS output routing, reducing the number of printed circuit board (PCB) layers and bill of materials cost.
- Reduced interface lines: Outputs data over one or two wires of LVDS pins per channel, reducing the number of interface lines. This creates a two-wire interface, which keeps the serial data rate low to further reduce FPGA cost.
Tools and support
An evaluation module (EVM) is available to test the ADS5295 under a variety of conditions. The ADS5295EVM can be purchased today for US$299. An IBIS model to verify board signal integrity requirements is also available.
Availability and pricing
The ADS5295 is available now in an 80-pin HTQFP package for a suggested retail price of US$70 in quantities of 1,000.
Optimized analog products and full portfolio for imaging applications
The ADS5295 joins the ADS529x family, which includes the 14-bit ADS5294 and 12-bit ADS5292. These devices offer eight channels at 80 MSPS, with 77-dBFS and 72-dBFS performance, respectively.
Learn more about TI's full portfolio of optimized analog products for medical and industrial imaging systems at www.ti.com/medicalimaging-pr.
- Order samples: www.ti.com/ads5295s-pr
- Buy the EVM from the TI eStore: www.ti.com/ads5295evmbuy-pr
- Download the datasheet: www.ti.com/ads5295ds-pr.
- View TI's full product portfolio for ultrasound applications in an interactive ultrasound system block diagram: www.ti.com/ultrasoundsbd-pr.
- Learn more about TI's full portfolio for medical applications at www.ti.com/healthtech.
- Download TI's HealthTech Guide: www.ti.com/healthtechguide-pr.
About TI HealthTech components for healthcare, fitness and medical imaging
TI HealthTech is helping medical device companies revolutionize healthcare and improve the quality and accessibility of healthcare, fitness and medical imaging equipment in the 21st century and beyond. With its wide range of analog and embedded processing products, from building blocks to complete semiconductor solutions, systems insight, global support infrastructure, advanced process technology and medical industry experience, TI HealthTech enables TI's medical customers to deliver innovative healthcare, fitness and medical imaging products that are more flexible, reliable, affordable and accessible. TI's experience in diverse markets, including wireless communications, consumer electronics, automotive and aerospace, enables engineers to design products that are faster, more precise, energy efficient and smaller in size, while maintaining the high standards for quality and reliability that the healthcare market demands. For more information, please visit www.ti.com/healthtech.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
All registered trademarks and other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated