DALLAS, Dec. 15, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE : TXN ) builds upon its popular SWIFT™ family of power management integrated circuits with a new 6-A converter that is the industry's smallest and most efficient. The new TPS54618 monolithic synchronous switcher with two integrated 12-milliohm FETs provides 95-percent efficiency and low operating current to 2.95-V to 6-V point-of-load designs used in DSP- and FPGA-based communications, test and medical equipment. For product details, samples and evaluation modules visit: www.ti.com/tps54618-pr.
The TPS54618 is 30-percent smaller than other 6-A devices, and achieves a total solution size of 140 mm2. The integrated converter provides high performance and reliability, including current mode control, which provides simple external compensation and flexible component selection, especially small ceramic capacitors. The easy-to-use and scalable TPS54618 is pin-compatible with other low-current SWIFT synchronous buck converters, such as the 3-A, 2-MHz TPS54318.
Key features and benefits of the TPS54618:
- TI's SWIFT converter with integrated 12-milliohm FETs supports a 6-A continuous current, and a power stage input voltage range from 2.95 V to 6 V.
- Wide switching frequency range (200 kHz to 2 MHz) combines high efficiency with design flexibility, and comes in a space-saving, thermally enhanced 3-mm x 3-mm x 1-mm monolithic QFN package.
- Synchronized switching frequency from a master clock eliminates beat noise in sensitive data acquisition circuitry.
Availability and pricing
The TPS54618 is available in volume now from TI and its authorized distributors in a 3-mm x 3-mm QFN package. Suggested resale pricing is $2.85 in 1,000-unit quantities. The TPS54318 3-A SWIFT converter also comes in a 3-mm x 3-mm QFN with a suggested resale price of $2.00 in 1,000-unit quantities.
Find out more about TI's SWIFT portfolio by visiting the following:
- Order samples and the TPS54618EVM-597 evaluation module: www.ti.com/tps54618-pr.
- SWIFT DC/DC step-down converter portfolio: www.ti.com/swift-pr.
- TI's simple-to-use, downloadable SwitcherPro™ power supply design tool: www.ti.com/switcherpro-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments (NYSE : TXN ) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through design, sales and manufacturing operations in more than 30 countries. For more information, go to www.ti.com.
SWIFT and SwitcherPro are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All trademarks and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated