DALLAS, Sept. 15, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) today introduced the industry's first device to integrate four types of USB 2.0 chip protection in a single package. The TPD4S014 provides a high level of protection against electrostatic discharge (ESD) and is the industry's smallest USB protection device for all four USB channels, measuring only 2 mm x 2 mm. Should the device junction temperature exceed 150 degrees Celsius, the switch turns off to the power rail, thus protecting against over-temperature conditions. To protect the power rail from a moving voltage line, the load switch in the TPD4S014 immediately opens, preventing under- or over-voltage if the power supply rail drops lower than 2.8 V or higher than 6.15 V. To download a data sheet or order samples see: www.ti.com/tpd4s014-pr.
Designers can implement the TPD4S014 in many design configurations that require a small footprint, such as cell phones, e-books, portable media players and digital cameras, tablets, embedded computing, portable navigation, portable land surveying, and portable test and measurement.
TPD4S014 key features and benefits
- First device to offer four types of protection in a single compact package: over-voltage, under-voltage, over-temperature and ESD.
- Industry's smallest USB protection device for all four USB channels, 75 percent smaller than competing devices that only offer ESD protection.
- Offers protection for all four High-Speed USB (USB 2.0) channels: D+, D-, VBUS and ID.
- Complies with the highest level of ESD protection, with immunity of +8-kV contact discharge and +15-kV air-gap discharge per IEC61000-4-2 system-level ESD immunity testing.
- Compatible with both Full Speed and High Speed, supporting data rates of up to 480 Mbps..
Availability and pricing
The TPD4S014 comes in an 10-pin, 4-mm2 DSQ SON package and is in full production now. The TPD4S014 is available from TI and authorized distributors with the suggested resale price of $0.55 in quantities of 1,000.
Tools and support
TI offers a variety of tools and support to speed development time:
- Simulate your design using TI's TPD4S014 IBIS model.
- Quickly evaluate with the TPD4S014EVM, available today for a suggested retail price of $49.
- Download the data sheet: www.ti.com/tpd4s014-pr.
Learn more about TI's interface portfolio:
- Order samples of the TPD4S014 here: www.ti.com/tpd4s014-pr.
- Quickly search TI's entire interface portfolio and other interface devices, or download the latest selection guide: www.ti.com/interface-pr.
- Ask questions and help solve problems with fellow engineers in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/interfaceforum-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 80,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated