DALLAS, Feb. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced the industry's smallest monolithic point-of-load (POL) DC/DC converters for harsh environments, including radiation tolerant, geological, heavy industrial, and oil and gas applications. The 6.3-V, 6-A TPS50601 and the 6.3-V, 3-A TPS50301 are synchronous step- down converters optimized for small form factor designs.
The devices' current mode control, high switching frequency, and integration of the high- and low-side MOSFETs slash board space by 50 percent compared to other solutions, reducing the size of equipment needed for tight spaces, such as down-hole drilling. For more information or to order samples and an evaluation module (EVM), see www.ti.com/tps50601-pr.
- Peak efficiency: Best-in-class peak efficiency of up to 95 percent results in lower heat dissipation, compared to competitive devices.
- Design flexibility: 100-kHz to 1-MHz switching frequency and optimized compensation scheme enable designers to make trade-offs between size and efficiency.
- Reduced board space: High efficiency, optimal layout and dynamic bias reduce the size and number of output capacitors, and improve transient response. This enables more than 12-watts-per-square-inch power, compared to the nearest competitor at 10 watts per square inch.
- High reliability: The TPS50301 is qualified up to +210 degrees-C for high temperature applications, while the TPS50601 is qualified up to +125 degrees-C for harsh environments with QMLV/RHA qualifications pending.
- Higher-current operation: Designers can use two devices in parallel to double the output current.
Packaging, availability and pricing
The TPS50601 and the TPS50301 are sampling now in a 20-pin thermally enhanced dual in-line ceramic flatpack. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for suggested retail price of the TPS50601, and email@example.com for suggested retail price of the TPS50301.
Tools and support
The TPS50601 is supported by single- and dual-configured EVMs. The dual TPS50601SPEVM-D provides high efficiency and high reliability due to reduced stress on the components. The single TPS50601SPEVM-S implements split-input power rails with separate voltage inputs for power stage and control circuitry. Suggested retail price is US$499 for the single EVM and US$599 for the dual EVM.
The harsh environment engineering model (EM), TPS50601HKHMPR, is a TPS50601 prototype for initial evaluation for harsh environment customers. The model provides the same functionality and footprint as the TPS50601, but at a reduced cost and for evaluation only.
A small form factor reference design of approximately 1 inch by 1 inch is available. It features optimal layout, high efficiency, design calculations, transient response, and information on the device design and test results.
Engineers can ask questions and get answers from TI experts on the High Reliability Forum in the TI E2E™ Community.
Find out more about the TPS50601 and the TPS50301, as well as other high-reliability products from TI:
- Order samples of the TPS50601: www.ti.com/tps50601-sample-pr.
- Order samples of the TPS50301: www.ti.com/tps50301-sample-pr.
- Purchase the TPS50601SPEVM-D: www.ti.com/tps50601-d-evm-pr
- Purchase the TPS50601SPEVM-S: www.ti.com/tps50601-s-evm-pr
- Download the TPS50601 datasheet: www.ti.com/tps50601-ds-pr.
- Download the TPS50301 datasheet: www.ti.com/tps50301-ds-pr.
- Explore TI's full portfolio of high-temperature integrated circuits (ICs) and related system block diagrams: www.ti.com/hightemp-pr.
- Download TI's High-Temperature Guide: www.ti.com/hightempguide-pr.
About high-reliability and high-temperature components from TI
Customers count on TI's high-reliability expertise and the industry's broadest portfolio of analog and embedded processing products to provide complete semiconductor solutions and value-added services for challenging or extreme environments in industrial, space, aerospace, defense, medical and consumer markets. TI offers solutions and services for extended temperature ranges of -55 degrees C up to 220 degrees C, radiation hardened designs, baseline control, extended product life cycles, obsolescence mitigation, quality conformance to military standards, ITAR flow support and in-house process technology. TI's high-reliability packaging capabilities include ceramic, plastic and Known Good Die (KGD) wafer solutions. See more at www.ti.com/hirel.
About WEBENCH tools from Texas Instruments
The WEBENCH Designer and Architect component libraries include more than 30,000 components from 120 manufacturers. Price and availability is updated hourly by TI's distribution partners for design optimization and production planning. Offered in eight languages, the user can compare complete system designs and make supply chain decisions in minutes. To start a cost-free design, visit TI's WEBENCH design environment at www.ti.com/webench-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
WEBENCH is a registered trademark and TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All other
trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated