DALLAS, June 7 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) today introduced a synchronous MOSFET half bridge that achieves greater than 90 percent efficiency at 25 A – and in half the area of competitive power MOSFET devices. TI's new CSD86350Q5D Power Block combines two asymmetric NexFET power MOSFETs in an advanced package that delivers high performance in low-voltage synchronous buck half-bridge applications, including servers, desktop and notebook PCs, base stations, switches, routers and high-current point-of-load (POL) converters. For more information: www.ti.com/powerblock-pr.
In addition to improving efficiency and power density, the NexFET Power Block can generate up to 40 A of current with a switching frequency of up to 1.5 MHz, which reduces solution size and cost. The optimized pinout and grounded lead frame significantly reduces development time and improves overall circuit performance. Furthermore, the NexFET Power Block can achieve comparable performance to other semiconductor technologies, such as GaN, but in a cost effective manner.
Key features and benefits of CSD86350Q5D Power Block:
- 5-mm x 6-mm SON outline is half the size of two discrete MOSFETs in 5-mm x 6-mm QFN packages.
- Greater than 90 percent power efficiency at 25 A operation -- two percent better efficiency and 20 percent lower power loss than competitive devices.
- Double the frequency without increasing power loss versus competitive solutions.
- The SON package with an exposed grounded pad on the bottom simplifies layout.
Availability and pricing
NexFET Power Block device is available in volume now from TI and its authorized distributors in a 5-mm x 6-mm SON package. Suggested resale pricing for the CSD86350Q5D is $1.75 in 1,000-unit quantities. Samples and evaluation modules are available.
Find out more about TI's NexFET power MOSFET technologies:
- For the complete NexFET portfolio visit: www.ti.com/mosfet-pr.
- Ask questions and help solve problems with fellow engineers in the NexFET forum on the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/nexfetforum-pr.
- Search the new MOSFET Graphic Parametric Selection tool: www.ti.com/mosfet-gps-pr.
- See DC/DC controllers that are optimized for NexFET technology: TP40303, TPS40304, TPS40305, TPS51217 and TPS51218.
About TI's NexFET power MOSFET technology
TI's NexFET power MOSFET technology improves energy efficiency in high-power computing, networking, server systems and power supplies. These high-frequency, high-efficiency analog power MOSFETs gives system designers access to the most advanced DC/DC power conversion solutions available.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through design, sales and manufacturing operations in more than 30 countries. For more information, go to http://www.ti.com/.
NexFET and TI E2E are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All trademarks and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated