DALLAS, March 2, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE : TXN ) today introduced the industry's first two-channel, simultaneous-sampling successive approximation (SAR) analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) with two independently controlled internal references for simplified system-level design. The 16-bit ADS8363, 14-bit ADS7263 and 12-bit ADS7223 are pin-for-pin compatible and provide twice the per-channel throughput of similar ADCs, supporting speeds up to 1 MSPS for industrial and energy applications such as motor control, power quality measurement, protection relays, power automation, solar inverters and wind generators. For more information and to order samples, visit www.ti.com/ads8363-pr.
Key features and benefits
- Integrates two 2.5-V, independently controlled references to simplify system-level design, enabling separate ADC gain calibration and the implementation of a programmable gain amplifier. This feature also reduces the need for external signal conditioning when different gain levels are required for each ADC.
- 1-MSPS throughput increases efficiency for higher performance. When used for motor control, this increases the number of measurements per rotation, which provides finer motor position accuracy
- FIFO (First In, First Out) reduces processor accesses by 75 percent or more compared to alternative solutions. This can reduce system power consumption or increase performance by freeing MIPS for other tasks.
- Reduces component count by supporting up to eight pseudo-differential or four fully-differential input channels grouped into two pairs, doubling the number of supported inputs compared to the closest 16- and 14-bit competitors.
- Characterized for harsh industrial environments up to 125 degrees Celsius, making the ADS8363 the highest temperature-rated device in its class.
Free tools and support
TI offers a variety of free tools and support to speed development with the ADS8363, ADS7263 and ADS7223, including an IBIS model to verify board signal integrity requirements and calculators for anti-aliasing and circuit topography.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The ADS8363, ADS7263 and ADS7223 are all available now in a 5-mm x 5-mm QFN package. Suggested retail pricing for 1,000-unit quantities is as follows: $9.95 for the ADS8363, $6.95 for the ADS7263 and $3.95 for the ADS7223.
Learn more about TI's precision data converter portfolio by visiting the links below:
- Order ADS8363, ADS7263 and/or ADS7223 samples: www.ti.com/ads8363s-pr
- Order the evaluation module: www.ti.com/ads8363evm-pr
- Download the data sheet: www.ti.com/ads8363ds-pr
- Ask questions, help solve problems in the Precision Data Converter forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/e2epdc-pr
- Download the new Analog Signal Chain Guide: www.ti.com/signalchainguide-pr
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 80,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated