DALLAS, Feb. 10, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) today introduced the industry's widest bandwidth, fully-integrated transmit/receive processors with digital pre-distortion (DPD) for 3G and 4G wireless base stations, remote radio heads and government communication systems. The GC533x family features two turn-key processors that provide a complete and highly flexible digital transmit and receive solution for wide-bandwidth and multi-antenna wireless base stations at a fraction of the cost of high-gate-count FPGAs and without the time and investment required to develop a custom ASIC solution. A complete system evaluation and reference design kit, which TI will showcase at Mobile World Congress (Hall 8, Stand 8A84), is also available. For more information and to order samples of the GC533x family, visit www.ti.com/gc533x-pr.
The GC533x family provides up to 148 MHz of fifth order corrected transmit bandwidth with crest factor reduction (CFR), along with wideband digital up/down converters with fractional re-samplers, 48-bit numerically controlled oscillators (NCO) and automatic gain control that can support four transmit and eight receive antennas simultaneously. When combined with the low-cost, high-performance TMS320C6748 floating point DSP, the GC533x platform offers customers a high-performance adaptive DPD algorithm or the ability to implement their own DPD IP.
Key features and benefits
- Provides up to 148 MHz of fifth order corrected DPD bandwidth across two transmitters with CFR 2 dB better than competitive solutions, enabling power amplifier efficiencies as high as 40 percent in three carrier LTE operation with 54-dB adjacent channel leakage ratio (ACLR) and 48-dBm output.
- Delivers 20 dB of ACLR improvement compared to uncorrected signals in wide-bandwidth applications and 40 dB improvement in narrow-bandwidth applications while offering multi-channel, multi-carrier, multi-mode and multi-band support for standards such as 3GPP, MC-GSM, WiMAX, WiBRO and 3GPP2.
- Includes interfaces for up to four transmit and eight receive antennas and a real or complex observation path, enabling 2x2, 2x4, 4x4 and 4x8 transmit/receive solutions while simplifying board layout and reducing cost by an order of magnitude compared to FPGAs.
- Features 48 digital up/down convert channels configurable for data rates as wide as 184 MS/s with four fractional re-samplers, 48-bit NCOs and a bulk up-converter that enables expanded clocking and frequency planning flexibility.
- Integrates I/Q imbalance correction for enhanced performance of wideband complex receive and DPD observation signal chains, enabling lower sample rate and lower-cost receive and feedback analog-to-digital converters (ADCs).
Tools and support
The GC5330SEK system evaluation and reference design kit provides a complete transceiver reference design for wide bandwidth applications. It includes the following:
- DAC3283 communications DAC (digital-to-analog converter), TRF372017 IQ modulator with integrated PLL/VCO and TRF370417 IQ modulator for diversity transmit
- PGA870 programmable-gain amplifier, THS770006 fully-differential op amp and ADS62P49 ADC for diversity receive
- PGA870 and ADS41B49 ADC for DPD observation
- CDCE72010 clock synthesizer and jitter cleaner for system clocking
- TMS320C6748 fixed/floating point DSP
The GC5330SEK is available through TI today for $8500. Software licensing agreement and support fees may apply. Contact your local Product Information Center (PIC) for more information.
Availability and pricing
The GC533x family is offered in a 23-mm x 23-mm TE-PBGA package.
The GC5330, featuring 620 MHz of total DPD bandwidth with up to four transmit and eight receive antenna support, is available today for a suggested resale price of $80 in 1000-unit quantities.
The GC5337, offering 740 MHz of total DPD bandwidth with up to four transmit and eight receive antenna support, will be available in March for a suggested resale price of $95 in 1,000-unit quantities.
Learn more about TI's digital radio portfolio by visiting the links below:
- Order GC5330 samples: www.ti.com/gc533x-pr.
- Download the GC5330 data sheet: www.ti.com/gc5330ds-pr.
- Watch a TI expert discuss DPD observation requirements: www.ti.com/asktheexperts_gc533x-pr.
- Ask questions, help solve problems in the RF & Digital Radio forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/e2erf-pr.
Learn more about TI's multicore solutions for a broad range of communications infrastructure products by visiting www.ti.com/c66multicore.
TI @ Mobile World Congress
While at MWC, visit TI at Booth 8A84 (Hall 8) to learn more about the latest analog, communications infrastructure, wireless and DLP® news, and to see a broad range of TI-based demos.
Missing the show?
- Check out the Analog Wire blog on the TI E2E™ Community for recaps from Chuck Sanna, marketing manager for High Speed Products.
- Keep an eye on TI's MWC 2011 site for complete show updates.
- Visit the TI fan page on Facebook, and become a fan!
- Follow us on Twitter @TXInstruments.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through manufacturing, design and sales operations in more than 30 countries. For more information, go to www.ti.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated