OAKVILLE, ON, April 29, 2015 /PRNewswire/ - Tim Hortons has released its fifth annual Sustainability and Responsibility Report, highlighting the company's 2014 performance results. The report continues to outline how Tim Hortons is Making a True Difference™ for individuals, communities and the planet.
"2014 was an important year for Tim Hortons, marked by continued progress towards our sustainability goals," says Carol Patterson, Senior Director, Sustainability and Stakeholder Relations, Tim Hortons. "Together with our Restaurant Owners, we are proud of our contributions to the well-being of our guests, employees and the communities where we operate, as well as our efforts to reduce our impact on the environment."
Key accomplishments in 2014 include:
- Raised $11.8 million on Camp Day for the Tim Horton Children's Foundation to support over 17,000 economically disadvantaged children to attend our camps.
- Raised $5.3 million through the Smile Cookie program for over 500 local charities across Canada and the United States.
- Introduced new better-for-you menu options, such as the Greek Yogurt Parfait with mixed berries and almond granola, as well as our Turkey Sausage Breakfast Sandwich.
- Introduced Calorie Aware menu boards across Canada to highlight breakfast products under 350 calories.
- Increased the number of farmers who participated in the Tim Hortons Coffee Partnership Projects to a total of 4,830 farmers.
- Made a commitment to responsibly source palm oil, and mapped our supply chain for the palm oil we source in collaboration with our product manufacturers, suppliers and other partners as a first step in the development of a comprehensive palm oil sourcing policy.
- Implemented energy saving measures in more than 200 Tim Hortons restaurants in Ontario, and achieved approximately four million kilowatt-hours in energy savings province-wide, which is comparable to the amount of electricity it would take to power about 420 homes for one year.
"Sustainability and responsibility remains a priority for us both now and into the future," explains Patterson. "As we map the next phase of the Tim Hortons sustainability strategy, we maintain our commitment to making a true difference. Its significance is recognized in our brand vision: To be the fastest growing global restaurant brand, with the best people, proudly serving Canada's favourite coffee while making a true difference in our communities."
To view the report in its entirety, please visit http://sustainabilityreport.timhortons.com/
Tim Hortons® Inc. Overview
Tim Hortons, part of Restaurant Brands International, is one of North America's largest restaurant chains operating in the quick service segment. Founded as a single location in Canada in 1964, Tim Hortons appeals to a broad range of consumer tastes, with a menu that includes premium coffee, hot and cold specialty drinks (including lattes, cappuccinos and espresso shots), specialty teas and fruit smoothies, fresh baked goods, grilled Panini and classic sandwiches, wraps, soups, prepared foods and other food products. As of April 27, 2015, Tim Hortons had 4,724 systemwide restaurants, including 3,773 in Canada, 892 in the United States and 59 in the Gulf Cooperation Council. More information about the Company is available at www.timhortons.com.
About Restaurant Brands International
Restaurant Brands International Inc. is one of the world's largest quick service restaurant companies with approximately $23 billion in system sales and over 19,000 restaurants in nearly 100 countries and U.S. territories. Restaurant Brands International owns two of the world's most prominent and iconic quick service restaurant brands – TIM HORTONS® and BURGER KING®. These independently operated brands have been serving their respective guests, franchisees, and communities for over 50 years. To learn more about Restaurant Brands International, please visit the Company's website at www.rbi.com.
SOURCE Tim Hortons