SAN ANTONIO, Nov. 2, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Women in the World returns to San Antonio with the third annual Women in the World Texas on November 14. Tina Brown will co-host the event at Pearl Stable with Nancy Inouye, National Marketing Director, Traditional & Emerging Media, Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc., and San Antonio City Manager Sheryl Sculley.
THE WOMAN WHO MAKES CRIME PAY
A conversation with one of the top-selling crime writers of all time
- Patricia Cornwell, one of the world's top best-selling crime authors. Her novels have won numerous prestigious awards, including the Edgar, the Creasey, the Anthony, the Macavity, and the Prix du Roman d'Aventure.
AFTER THE MUDBATH: CAN WE EVER REGAIN THE HIGH GROUND?
With the historic but corrosive election over, how do we put the gross rhetoric and misogyny behind us and move forward?
- Lorena Chambers, CEO of Chambers Lopez Strategies LLC, who, during an election cycle charged with rhetoric against immigrants, was hired by Hillary's Clinton's Super PAC, Priorities USA, to get Latinos engaged, registered and into the voting booths. She is the only Latina—as well as only one of two women—to have produced broadcast commercials for a U.S. presidential campaign.
- Emily Ramshaw, Editor-in-chief of The Texas Tribune. Under her leadership, the Tribune has won seven national Edward R. Murrow Awards, five top honors from the Online News Association and been repeatedly recognized for innovation in investigative reporting.
- Moderated by Bianna Golodryga, Anchor, Yahoo News & Finance
THE ART OF SURVIVAL
How one young woman is making sense and making art from the horrors of her past
- Sandra Uwiringiyimana, activist, college student and author of "How Dare the Sun Rise", a memoir on surviving the infamous Gatumba war massacre in Burundi and navigating America as a refugee.
MY STEALTHY FREEDOM
The founder of a social movement that's inspiring women of Iran to perform acts of personal rebellion
- Masih Alinejad, Iranian journalist and founder of My Stealthy Freedom, a powerful social media campaign where women in Iran are posting photos of themselves without a hijab, in defiance of Iran's compulsory hijab law.
THE STRONG AND THE BRAVE
From the battlefield to the sports field, how female veterans are reclaiming their power and strength through adaptive sports
- Randi Gavell, a retired Army Staff Sergeant who has won a gold medal in the Warrior Games and a bronze medal in the Invictus Games.
- Sarah Rudder, a Marine Lance Corporal who became the most decorated athlete at the Invictus games, winning seven medals for Team USA.
Since 2012, presenting sponsor Toyota has partnered with Women in the World to honor Mothers of Invention. The Mothers of Invention program identifies and recognizes women who actively contribute to their local communities and the world through innovation, entrepreneurship and invention.
Sarah Evans, Founder and Executive Director of Well Aware will be recognized by Toyota as the next Mother of Invention at Women in the World Texas. Evans left behind a life as a corporate attorney to found Well Aware, an Austin-based nonprofit that uses solar power to bring clean, sustainable water to communities in Africa. With her focus on community involvement and empowerment, her work has brought clean water to more than 124,000 people, a key step toward building prosperity in impoverished villages. Well Aware is on track to nearly double that number in 2017. Evans will take center stage to share her story during an inspirational segment in San Antonio.
Women in the World Founder and CEO Tina Brown says, "We are thrilled to bring Women in the World Texas to San Antonio again, a city where passionate, talented and creative women are committed to addressing topics that impact us all. San Antonio's diverse environment and continued focus on the future offer the perfect stage to share stories and explore solutions to building a better life for women and girls."
City Manager Sheryl Sculley adds, "For the third year, we welcome Women in the World Texas to San Antonio, and applaud the event for taking women's issues to the stage. Our city's rich cultural heritage, history of diversity and strong female leadership in all areas of business, government and community make it the ideal location for bringing these topics front and center."
This year's invitation-only Women in the World Texas includes the opportunity for a select number of students and youth groups within the city of San Antonio to experience this world-class event first-hand. Thanks to youth participation supporters AT&T, Bracewell LLP & The Siebert Foundation, The CE Group, Inc., CPS Energy, H-E-B, Neiman Marcus, Norton Rose Fulbright, NuStar Energy and Zachry Corporation, young women from DreamSA Teen Ambassadors, Girls Inc. of San Antonio, International School of the Americas, UHCL HFES Chapter and San Antonio Young Women's Leadership Academy, as well as individual young women selected from public nominations, will be attending the event.
Women in the World Texas is generously supported by presenting sponsor Toyota, leadership sponsor the City of San Antonio and supporting sponsor H-E-B.
For more information about visiting San Antonio, please visit:
To learn more about Women in the World please visit:
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
Dawn Robinette, APR | Associate
The CE Group, Inc.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/tina-browns-third-annual-women-in-the-world-texas-to-feature-patricia-cornwell-lorena-chambers-emily-ramshaw-bianna-golodryga-masih-alinejad-sandra-uwiringiyimana-randi-gavell-sarah-rudder-and-toyota-mother-of-invention-s-300355955.html
SOURCE San Antonio Convention & Visitors Bureau