DALLAS, Aug. 22, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) today introduced a family of dual 16-, 14- and 12-bit digital-to-analog converters (DACs) that provides the industry's highest precision and lowest power consumption. The DAC8562 family delivers 25-percent better integral non-linearity (INL) and 60-percent lower offset error compared to similar devices. The DACs also provide best-in-class power consumption and are ultra-small, making them suitable for space and power-constrained systems, such as wireless base stations, programmable logic control (PLC) analog output modules, motor control, precision instrumentation and portable medical equipment. For more information and to order samples, visit www.ti.com/dac8562-pr.
Key features and benefits of the DAC8562 family
- Best-in-class precision with 0.1 nV-sec glitch energy, a maximum offset error of 4 mV, a maximum INL of 0.75 LSB at 12-bits and a maximum reference drift of 10 ppm/degree C improves system accuracy.
- Lowest power consumption in its class, consuming only 0.1 mA per channel to minimize the power required for VGA control in wireless base stations, as well as to operate tunable laser modules, CNC machines and portable medical devices, such as oscilloscopes and portable blood analyzers.
- Reduces cost and board space with an integrated precision reference that provides a 20-mA sink/source capability to eliminate the need for an external buffer.
- Supports different control loops with options for both reset to zero-scale and reset to mid-scale to provide greater design flexibility.
- Characterized for harsh industrial environments up to 125 degrees Celsius, 20 degrees higher than the competition.
Tools and support
TI offers a variety of free tools and support to speed development with the DAC8562 family, including:
- Two evaluation modules for quick evaluation. The DAC8562EVM and DAC7562EVM are available today for a suggested retail price of $49.
- An IBIS model to verify board signal integrity requirements.
- Reference designs for analog output modules in PLCs and high-voltage, bipolar output control applications, which are included in the DAC8562 data sheet.
Availability, packaging and pricing
Devices in the DAC8562 family are pin-for-pin compatible and are all available today in either a 3-mm x 3-mm QFN or 3-mm x 5-mm MSOP package. Pricing in 1,000-unit quantities is as follows:
- 16-bit DAC8562 (reset to zero scale) and DAC8563 (reset to mid-scale) for $4.20.
- 14-bit DAC8162 (reset to zero scale) and DAC8163 (reset to mid-scale) for $3.85.
- 12-bit DAC7562 (reset to zero scale) and DAC7563 (reset to mid-scale) for $2.50.
Learn more about TI's precision data converter portfolio by visiting the links below:
- Order DAC8562 family samples or EVMs: www.ti.com/dac8562-pr.
- Download the data sheet: www.ti.com/dac8562ds-pr.
- Check out the new Industrial Automation Solutions for PLCs guide: www.ti.com/plcguide-pr.
- Ask questions and help solve problems in the Precision Data Converter Forum in the TI E2E™ Community: http://www.ti.com/e2epdc-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 80,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated