DALLAS, April 14, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) today introduced a complete motor control evaluation kit for spinning brushless DC (BLDC) and permanent magnet synchronous motors (PMSM). The DRV8312-C2-KIT is a high-performance, power-efficient and cost-effective sensorless field-oriented control (FOC) and trapezoidal commutation platform. It spins motors out of the box, speeding development of sub-50-V and 6.5-A brushless motors for driving medical pumps, gates, lifts and small pumps, as well as industrial and consumer robotics and automation. For more information or to place an order, visit www.ti.com/drv8312-c2-kit-pr.
Key features and benefits:
- Out-of-the-box motor control and driver solution includes the DRV8312 motor driver, a 32-bit C2000™ Piccolo™ microcontroller (MCU) controlCARD module, a quick-start graphical user interface, full development source code, Code Composer Studio™ (CCStudio) integrated development environment (IDE) and a three-phase BLDC motor.
- Flexible control platform that supports sensorless FOC, and sensorless and sensored trapezoidal commutation control for rapid evaluation and development of three-phase motors. By adding a separate shaft encoder, the DRV8312-C2-KIT can also support sensored FOC.
- DRV8312 three-phase, fractional-horsepower motor driver provides the highest current output in its class, delivering up to 6.5 A, without the need for a costly external heat sink. The DRV8312 motor driver is robust, reliable and fully protected with cycle-by-cycle over-current, over-temperature, cross-conduction and under-voltage protection, reducing design complexity and board space, and ensuring higher system reliability.
- C2000 Piccolo MCU performs control, communications, and debug functions. The industry-leading 32-bit C2000 MCU integrates the most advanced analog feedback, digital control peripherals and CPU capability in an embedded MCU device family starting under $2. This includes access to the most thorough set of motor control software modules, real-time debug capabilities, and open-tooled reference designs via free controlSUITE™ software.
Availability and pricing
The DRV8312-C2-KIT is available now for $299. This price includes CCStudio IDE with no compiler or memory limitations. All documentation, software source, and the hardware development package – including bill of materials, schematics, and gerbers – is freely available through controlSUITE.
A complete evaluation kit based on the DRV8412 motor driver is also available for spinning brushed DC and stepper motors. The DRV8412-C2-KIT is priced at $299.
Learn more about TI's motor control solutions by visiting the links below:
- Order samples of the DRV8312-C2-KIT: www.ti.com/drv8312-c2-kit-pr.
- See the DRV8312-C2-KIT spin a motor in this short video: www.ti.com/drv8312-c2-kit-vid-pr.
- Ask questions, help solve problems in the Motor Drivers Forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/e2emotor-pr.
- Check out motor control block diagrams, application notes, videos and selection guides: www.ti.com/motorcontrol-pr.
TI spins motors
TI combines a rich history in motor drive and control, a broad portfolio of analog and microcontroller products and a comprehensive offering of tools, software and support to deliver efficient, reliable, cost-effective motor solutions. Customers can get the right solutions at the right performance level to quickly spin any motor, including AC induction (ACIM), brushed DC (DC), BLDC, PMSM and stepper.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through manufacturing, design and sales operations in more than 30 countries. For more information, go to www.ti.com.
C2000, Piccolo, Code Composer Studio, controlSUITE and E2E are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated