CUPERTINO, Calif., Sept. 19, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Trend Micro Incorporated (TYO: 4704; TSE: 4704), a global cloud security leader, announced new software versions for its enterprise data protection software portfolio to help organizations of all sizes keep up with fast-evolving inbound and outbound data security risks.
In the past 10 months, many new risks and high-profile data loss cases have emerged, while many enterprises continue to struggle with the complexity of tackling data protection challenges. Consequently, industry analyst Richard Mogull recommends that enterprise security professionals stay abreast of current and future data security threats by utilizing automated data protection built into their existing security layers(1).
Messaging and Collaboration Product Updates
Trend Micro now offers completely integrated data protection for messaging and collaboration systems providing many feature advantages for security professionals, in addition to low total cost of ownership. Below is a summary of its product updates:
ScanMail for Microsoft Exchange (SMEX) 10.2 is the only mail-server-based security product with a web reputation service to block email containing malicious URLs (the #1 email risk) in addition to scanning for content and viruses. Compared to Microsoft Forefront Protection for Exchange, Trend Micro ScanMail for Exchange blocks malicious URLs, uses 10x less memory(2) with its SmartScan technology, scans 57 percent faster(3), and is easier to use(4). New features in version 10.2 include:
- Second-generation Data Loss Prevention (DLP) Lite with data validators, compliance templates, and over 40 worldwide data identifiers for custom templates.
- Malicious URL detection inside attachments in addition to the message body.
- New Local Smart Protection Server, which increases performance and reduces network latency.
PortalProtect for Microsoft SharePoint 2.1 is the only major collaboration security solution on the market today that protects SharePoint as a social collaboration tool, in addition to a file-sharing tool. It blocks embedded links, scans content blogs, wikis, discussion forums, and controls private information for compliance and risk management. In addition, a study by Osterman Research concluded that PortalProtect for SharePoint is the easiest product to administer in the enterprise(4). Recently, a 3rd party test concluded that PortalProtect has 3x less latency than Microsoft Forefront (5). New features of version 2.1 include:
- Second-generation DLP Lite with data validators, compliance templates, and 36 worldwide data identifiers for custom templates.
- Support for remote BLOB storage.
- Local Smart Protection Server increases performance and reduces network latency.
InterScan Messaging Security 8.2 helps enterprise IT professionals deal with their growing regulatory compliance and data protection challenges. The Trend Micro Data Privacy and Email Encryption module filters emails with DLP content rules and validators, and also encrypts the emails to ensure regulatory compliance and sensitive data protection. It includes a hybrid SaaS pre-filter that blocks unwanted spam before it reaches the customer's networks, which offloads the burden from internal resources. New features of version 8.2 include:
- A new Data Privacy and Email Encryption module.
- Virtual appliance support for Microsoft Hyper-V (in addition to VMware and a bare-metal software appliance).
- A widget-based dashboard for easy administration.
In addition to the three new offerings listed above, Trend Micro also announced updates for other enterprise data protection products including Trend Micro™ Email Encryption 5.6 which now supports Microsoft Outlook 2010 and Instant Messaging Security 1.5 which added support for Microsoft Lync earlier this year.
"2011 has been the year of phishing attacks, as proven by the high-profile entry point for attacks at RSA, Oak Ridge National Laboratory and International Monetary Fund," said John Maddison, executive GM of data center business unit for Trend Micro. "Targeted phishing emails often don't resemble spam and typically contain social engineering that entice an unsuspecting user to click on a link to a website where malware will be silently downloaded. Trend Micro messaging security solutions can block these emails by checking the reputation of URL's embedded inside emails before they reach users."
"Organizations are concerned with risks of email leaving their servers which contain sensitive information prone to data loss," said Chris Taylor, director of product marketing for Trend Micro. "Trend Micro eases the administrative burden of data protection. Both ScanMail and InterScan Messaging Security now have an option for our second-generation DLP Lite, featuring industry standard compliance templates including HIPAA, PCI, GLBA, SB-1386, US-PII as well as over 40 regional identifiers to create custom templates."
(1) Video interview with Rich Mogull, Securosis, Inc. Produced by Trend Micro, September, 2011.
(2) "SMEX 10.2 Performance and Sizing Guide," Trend Micro, September 2011.
(3) "Exchange Performance," Principled Technologies, September 2011. http://principledtechnologies.com/clients/reports/Trend%20Micro/SMEX0911.pdf
(4) "The Total Cost of Ownership for Mail and Collaboration Server Security," Osterman Research, April 2010.
(5) "SharePoint Performance," Principled Technologies, July 2011. http://principledtechnologies.com/clients/reports/Trend%20Micro/PortalProtect_SharePoint0711.pdf
About Trend Micro
Trend Micro Incorporated (TYO: 4704;TSE: 4704), a global cloud security leader, creates a world safe for exchanging digital information with its Internet content security and threat management solutions for businesses and consumers. A pioneer in server security with over 20 years' experience, we deliver top-ranked client, server and cloud-based security that fits our customers' and partners' needs, stops new threats faster, and protects data in physical, virtualized and cloud environments. Powered by the industry-leading Trend Micro™ Smart Protection Network™ secure cloud security infrastructure, our products and services stop threats where they emerge – from the Internet. They are supported by 1,000+ threat intelligence experts around the globe.
Additional information about Trend Micro Incorporated and the products and services are available at Trend Micro.com. This Trend Micro news release and other announcements are available at http://trendmicro.mediaroom.com/ and as part of an RSS feed at www.trendmicro.com/rss. Or follow our news on Twitter at @TrendMicro.
SOURCE Trend Micro Incorporated