SUNNYVALE, Calif., March 1, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Trimble (Nasdaq: TRMB) introduced today the ThingMagic® Mercury6 (M6) 4-port, multiprotocol RFID reader as the latest addition to its RFID product family. The M6 is based on the ThingMagic M6e embedded RFID reader module and operates with the ThingMagic MercuryAPI, providing OEMs, VARs and end users with high-performance RFID and a common programming interface for enterprise RFID solution development.
Designed for a Wide Range of Applications
Building on the ease of use, reliability and enterprise-grade performance ThingMagic products are known for, the M6 offers a low-profile form factor, rugged service operating capabilities and the industry's highest transmit power for a Power over Ethernet (PoE) capable reader. These features make the M6 well suited for enterprise, commercial and industrial environments where high performance in a wide range of operating conditions is required.
Key features include:
- Small form factor – Dimensions of 3.4 cm (Height) x 19.0 cm (Length) x 17.8 cm (Width) allow for the integration of enterprise-grade RFID into low profile portals, read stations, displays and a variety of other indoor and outdoor structures and environments.
- Environmental rating – The M6 has an IP52 rating, providing dust ingress protection and water resistance for industrial, outdoor and rugged service requirements.
- Transmit power – The M6 can operate at +5 to +31.5 dBm in both AC and PoE powered options, delivering superior performance for a wide range of applications.
- Tag read performance – Configuration flexibility supports high sensitivity and high throughput operations. Superior receive sensitivity allows for a long read range (up to 30 ft) and an RFID tag read rate of 400 tags per second in typical read zone environments.
- Power over Ethernet – Power over Ethernet (PoE) support provides ease of installation and low total cost of ownership.
- Wi-Fi network connectivity – An integrated Wi-Fi network option provides low cost integration with existing enterprise Wi-Fi networks and Wi-Fi security standards.
"Providing customers with superior, high-performance auto-identification and data collection solutions is our primary business objective. In order to succeed, we need to partner with technology providers whose products are reliable, scalable, and easy to deploy," said Robert Fuqua, president and CEO, Atlas RFID. "The ThingMagic M6 delivers the performance and versatility that is required for our varied client environments and key markets, including construction, workforce and organizational planning and automotive manufacturing. We're excited about the new opportunities the M6 will bring Atlas RFID and the market as a whole."
Further simplifying solution development, the M6 is available with the ThingMagic MercuryAPI which includes high-level developer interfaces in Java and C#. This application programming interface – available on all ThingMagic fixed and embedded RIFD readers - provides customers with a common platform with which to develop highly complementary RFID-enabled products based on the company's broad portfolio of RFID reader technology.
"As the market evolves from the use of one-size-fits-all RFID readers toward highly integrated solutions, ThingMagic continues to broaden its portfolio of RFID readers and development tools to serve established and emerging customer needs," said Tom Grant, general manager of Trimble's ThingMagic Division. "The addition of the Mercury6 to our product line allows our customers to continue to develop and deliver innovative RFID solutions in a variety of form factors across several markets poised for significant growth."
The M6 list price is US$1,395 for the Power over Ethernet model and US$1,545 for the Integrated Wi-Fi model. The M6 is available now. To place orders, please contact ThingMagic sales at: email@example.com or +1-866-833-4069. International dialers call +1 617-499-4090.
About Trimble's ThingMagic Division
Trimble's ThingMagic Division is a leading provider of UHF RFID reader engines, development platforms and design services for a wide range of applications. ThingMagic develops products for demanding high-volume applications and provides consulting and design services to create solutions for challenging applications. ThingMagic's customers include some of the world's largest industrial automation firms, manufacturers, automotive companies, retailers, and consumer companies. Located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, the ThingMagic business was founded in 2000 by a group of visionary PhD graduates from Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Media Lab. ThingMagic is "The Engine in RFID™".
For more information, visit: www.thingmagic.com.
Trimble applies technology to make field and mobile workers in businesses and government significantly more productive. Solutions are focused on applications requiring position or location—including surveying, construction, agriculture, fleet and asset management, public safety and mapping. In addition to utilizing positioning technologies, such as GPS, lasers and optics, Trimble solutions may include software content specific to the needs of the user. Wireless technologies are utilized to deliver the solution to the user and to ensure a tight coupling of the field and the back office. Founded in 1978, Trimble is headquartered in Sunnyvale, Calif.
For more information, visit Trimble's Web site at: www.trimble.com.