PHILADELPHIA, Jan. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- Grants totaling $143,000 from Verizon Pennsylvania will open up a range of educational and scholarship opportunities for children served by 20 nonprofit organizations across the state.
The grants were made possible through Verizon's participation in Pennsylvania's Educational Improvement Tax Credit (EITC) program, which last year authorized $60 million in tax credits to Pennsylvania businesses that made contributions to scholarship, educational improvement and pre-K scholarship organizations. Verizon selected the nonprofits from a state-approved list, awarding grants ranging from $3,500 to $25,000 to support educational programs.
"Verizon's participation in Pennsylvania's EITC program demonstrates our continued dedication to promoting the value of education," said Gale Y. Given, president of Verizon Pennsylvania. "It's a win for the children and parents in the communities served by these nonprofits, and it's a win for companies like Verizon, which have an opportunity to invest in education and prepare our children to meet the unique challenges of living and working in the 21st century."
The grants awarded through the EITC program complement the millions of dollars in grants Verizon has annually awarded to scores of Pennsylvania nonprofits through the Verizon Foundation and the company's "Check Into Literacy" campaign.
The following nonprofit organizations received grants:
- Bridge Educational Foundation, Harrisburg ($25,000).
- Corporation for Penn State, University Park ($23,000).
- Quaker School at Horsham ($10,000).
- Philadelphia Mural Arts, Philadelphia ($8,000).
- Fund for the Advancement of Minorities through Education, Pittsburgh ($7,250).
- South Central Pennsylvania Educational Improvement Program, Harrisburg ($7,250).
- Community Partnership School, Philadelphia ($5,000).
- Crossroads Foundation, Pittsburgh ($5,000).
- Officer Daniel Boyle Scholarship Fund, Philadelphia ($5,000).
- Phase 4 Learning Center, Pittsburgh ($5,000).
- Pittsburgh Urban Christian School Inc., Pittsburgh ($5,000).
- Poise Foundation, Pittsburgh ($5,000).
- Washington County Community Foundation, Washington ($5,000).
- Jumpstreet, Harrisburg ($4,500).
- East End Cooperative Ministry, Pittsburgh ($4,000).
- Harrisburg Public School Foundation ($4,000).
- Need in Deed, Philadelphia ($4,000).
- The Tyler Youth Group Inc., Aliquippa ($4,000).
- Negro Educational Emergency Drive, Pittsburgh ($3,500).
- Northside Urban Pathways Foundation, Pittsburgh ($3,500).
Under the EITC plan, Pennsylvania businesses that pay any one of six taxes, including the corporate net income tax, may submit an application to the state Department of Community and Economic Development to provide grants. The businesses are then eligible for tax credits ranging from 75 percent to 90 percent of a maximum contribution of $300,000 per year. The credit is applied against a business's tax liability for the tax year in which the contribution was made. Since Verizon renewed its commitment to contribute for two consecutive tax years, it qualified for the 90 percent tax credit.
The Verizon Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Verizon Communications, supports the advancement of literacy and K-12 education through its free educational Web site, Thinkfinity.org, and fosters awareness and prevention of domestic violence. In 2009, the Verizon Foundation awarded more than $67.5 million in grants to nonprofit agencies in the U.S. and abroad. It also matched the charitable donations of Verizon employees and retirees, resulting in an additional $24.4 million in combined contributions to nonprofits. Through Verizon Volunteers, one of the nation's largest employee volunteer programs, Verizon employees and retirees have volunteered more than 5 million hours of community service since 2000. For more information on the foundation, visit www.verizonfoundation.org.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE: VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving more than 89 million customers nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America's most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers innovative, seamless business solutions to customers around the world. A Dow 30 company, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of more than 230,000 and last year generated consolidated revenues of more than $97 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.
VERIZON'S ONLINE NEWS CENTER: Verizon news releases, executive speeches and biographies, media contacts, high-quality video and images, and other information are available at Verizon's News Center on the World Wide Web at www.verizon.com/news. To receive news releases by e-mail, visit the News Center and register for customized automatic delivery of Verizon news releases.