Open Text Supports Paperless, Sustainable Business Practices that Help Increase Productivity, Improve Business Processes
WATERLOO, ON, Oct. 28 /PRNewswire/ - Stop the presses! That is, if you want to run a more efficient, sustainable business. That's the main message of AIIM World Paper Free Day being observed today at numerous venues around the world. Open Text Corporation (NASDAQ: OTEX, TSX: OTC) said today it endorses World Paper Free Day as a company that offers solutions that help organizations eliminate paper.
Despite the advent of electronic communication tools, many organizations continue to print, copy and fax more than a trillion pages of office paper each year, according to InfoTrends research. AIIM (Association for Information and Image Management), a leading non-profit enterprise content management (ECM) support organization, is observing World Paper Free Day in an effort to create awareness for tools and technologies that can reduce office paper usage and, at the same time, improve efficiency and collaboration.
"Without a clear-cut strategy to reduce dependency on paper-based processes, many organizations are finding that electronic tools have basically made it easier to print out more paper in less time. As the volume of information grows, they are literally drowning in paper," said Lubor Ptacek, Vice President of Product Marketing, Open Text. "While the primary reasons for adopting ECM solutions are often more efficient business processes, more productive employees and lower risk to the business, we are pleased to see that sustainability is gaining awareness among our customers."
Stamp Out Paper Waste
Solutions in Open Text's ECM Suite 2010 provide dozens of ways for organizations to run more efficiently while stamping out paper waste. Here are some examples.
- Open Text's imaging and capture solutions can be used to convert millions of paper documents into electronic formats for paper-free processing, returning tons of paper into recycling programs right at their doorsteps. Once converted to electronic form, documents become easy to share which eliminates need for making paper copies.
- With Open Text Everywhere, Open Text gives organizations a way to deliver content directly to employees' smartphones. Instead of printing out meeting agendas and other supporting information, managers can have the content and business context they need at their fingertips anywhere.
- Open Text offers multiple solutions that enable organizations to create self-service Websites that allow customers, partners or employees to securely access their personal information and accomplish a wide variety of tasks - all without ever needing to hit the print button.
- Even though more than 90 percent of documents are created in electronic format, many organizations still print important documents and email for preservation and record keeping. Open Text archiving and content lifecycle management solutions allow organizations to retain this information without having to print and physically store documents.
- Governments can use Open Text Web Experience Management to set up citizen portals that allow community members to fill out forms online or request access to historical documents without having to go into a public government office, saving not only paper but gasoline and time.
- In the utilities sector, Open Text ECM applications, such as Open Text Transmittal Management, eliminates the need to make multiple paper copies of contract amendments, scope of work change documents, or modified CAD drawings that would normally be faxed or sent by courier to engineering firms, equipment manufacturers, plant fabricators and project contractors.
For more information on Open Text ECM Suite 2010, plus case studies of many customers who have created more sustainable businesses with Open Text, go to Open Text ECM Suite 2010. Be sure to read about it online - do not print!
With its acquisition of StreamServe yesterday, Open Text expanded its extensive portfolio of offerings that help companies significantly reduce the use of paper and improve efficiency in customer and supplier communication. By linking business systems to document creation processes, StreamServe eliminates the need for paper within internal processes to improve efficiency. While many consumers still request paper copies of correspondence, StreamServe supports the move to electronic delivery of information to email, to the Web or to mobile devices, depending on customer preference.
StreamServe offers a sustainability program that defines seven ways customers can increase profitability and help the planet. To learn more, go to: http://www.streamserve.com/solutions/sustainability
Follow Open Text on Twitter: @opentext
About Open Text
Open Text, a global ECM leader, helps organizations manage and gain the true value of their business content. Open Text brings two decades of expertise supporting 100 million users in 114 countries. Working with our customers and partners, we bring together leading Content Experts™ to help organizations capture and preserve corporate memory, increase brand equity, automate processes, mitigate risk, manage compliance and improve competitiveness. For more information, visit www.opentext.com.
Certain statements in this press release may contain words considered forward-looking statements or information under applicable securities laws. These statements are based on the Open Text's current expectations, estimates, forecasts and projections about the operating environment, economies and markets in which the company operates. These statements are subject to important assumptions, risks and uncertainties that are difficult to predict, and the actual outcome may be materially different. Open Text's assumptions, although considered reasonable by the company at the date of this press release, may provide to be inaccurate and consequently its actual results could differ materially from the expectations set out herein. For additional information with respect to risks and other factors which could occur, see the Open Text's Annual Report on Form 10-K, Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q and other securities filings with the SEC and other securities regulators. Unless otherwise required by applicable securities laws, Open Text disclaims any intention or obligations to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Copyright © 2010 by Open Text Corporation. OPEN TEXT and the OPEN TEXT ECM SUITE are trademarks or registered trademarks of Open Text Corporation in the United States of America, Canada, the European Union and/or other countries. This list of trademarks is not exhaustive. Other trademarks, registered trademarks, product names, company names, brands and service names mentioned herein are property of Open Text Corporation or other respective owners.
SOURCE Open Text Corporation