Update - U.S. Commission on Civil Rights Announces Date to Conclude Briefing Related to its 2016 Enforcement Report, Environmental Justice: Toxic Materials, Poor Economies, and the Impact on the Environment of Low-Income, Minority Communities
27 Jan, 2016, 06:07 ET
WASHINGTON, Jan. 27, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The U.S. Commission on Civil Rights announced today that the remaining panelists for the Briefing on Environmental Justice have been scheduled to provide remarks on February 5, 2016. During the briefing, Commissioners will ask questions and discuss the briefing topic with the panelists.
WHAT: Briefing on Environmental Justice: Toxic Materials, Poor Economies, and the Impact on the Environment of Low-Income, Minority Communities
WHEN: February 5, 2016, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST
Please arrive early as seating is limited or participate via teleconference.
WHERE: U.S. Commission on Civil Rights
1331 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Suite 1150
Washington, DC 20425 (Entrance on F Street NW)
LISTEN IN: To listen to the Commission's Briefing via telephone, please follow the instructions below:
Dial toll-free number (888) 510-1785; Provide operator conference #2485466.
I. Introductory Remarks by Chairman: 9:00 a.m.
II. Presentations: Community Leaders/Advocates Who Have Experienced the Impacts of Environmental Injustices: 9:20 a.m. – 10:05 a.m.
- Esther Calhoun, Alabama Resident
- Dulce Ortiz, Illinois Resident
- Rev. Leo Woodberry, South Carolina Resident
III. Panel 1: Health Issues: 10:10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Barbara Gottlieb, Physicians for Social Responsibility
- Abel Russ, Environmental Integrity Project
- Dr. Yolanda Whyte, Physician
IV. Panel 2: Coal Industry Executives and Advocacy Groups: 11:40 a.m. – 12:55 p.m.
- Thomas Adams, American Coal Ash Association
- Amelia Shenstone, Southern Alliance for Clean Energy
- Lisa Hallowell, Environmental Integrity Project
- James Roewer, Utilities Solid Waste Group
- Michael Smith, Arrowhead Landfill Facility
V. Panel 3: Coal Ash Activists/Advocates: 1:55p.m. – 3:10 p.m.
- Andrea Delgado, Earth Justice
- Marianne Engelman-Lado, Earth Justice
- Rhiannon Fionn, Coal Ash Chronicles
- Prof. David Konisky, Indiana University
- Anthony L. Francois, Pacific Legal Foundation
VI. Panel 4: Environmental Justice Panel: 3:15 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- David Ludder, Environmental Justice Attorney
- Roger Clegg, Center for Equal Opportunity
- Lois Gibbs, Center for Health, Environment & Justice
- Prof. Chris Timmins, Duke University
VII. Adjourn Briefing – 4:30 p.m.
Deaf or hearing-impaired persons who require the services of a sign language interpreter should contact Pam Dunston at (202) 376-8105.
The public may submit written comments on the topic of the briefing to [email protected] within 30 days after the briefing.
Contact: Gerson Gomez
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20110524/DC08224LOGO
SOURCE U.S. Commission on Civil Rights
Share this article