New 5-Year Contract Increases Wages, Strengthens Pensions, Tackles Subcontracting
WASHINGTON, Jan. 12, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- UPS Freight Teamsters have voted overwhelmingly to ratify a new national five-year master agreement that increases wages, significantly strengthens pension benefits and takes on the issue of subcontracting.
The vote, which was 5,195 to 2,094 as of Sunday night, was held at local union halls during the weekend. Participation was 69 percent, which far exceeded the previous ratification vote last June, which was 58 percent. A handful of local unions covering less than 50 members had not reported their results as of Sunday night. Vote results can be viewed at http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/01.12.14upsfvotecount.pdf.
"UPS Freight members told us their top concerns were pensions and protecting their work, and this new contract addresses those issues head on," said Ken Hall, Teamsters General Secretary-Treasurer and Package Division Director. "Today's vote reflects the strength of the new agreement. It's an industry-leading contract."
The new five-year national contract, which covers 13,000 UPS Freight workers, improves and protects wages, benefits and working conditions at a time when most freight companies are making cuts. The contract:
- Provides $2.50 in wage increases over five years, making UPS Freight Teamsters the highest-paid in the industry;
- Improves and protects pension benefits;
- Lowers health insurance co-pays while maintaining strong benefits;
- Puts laid-off road drivers back to work;
- Provides the ability for more part-time workers to become full-time;
- Improves and protects vacation benefits of workers serving in the military; and
- Significantly lowers monthly cost for retiree health insurance.
Founded in 1903, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters represents 1.4 million hardworking men and women throughout the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico. Follow us on Twitter @Teamsters and "Like" us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/teamsters.
SOURCE International Brotherhood of Teamsters