DALLAS, April 27, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- U.S. Hispanics are more prone to smartphone distracted driving than the general population, according to AT&T* It Can Wait research. 83% of Hispanics admit to using their smartphones behind the wheel. That compares with 71% of Americans as a whole.
Half of U.S. Hispanics admit they use their smartphones to social network while driving. More than a quarter (28%) snap selfies or take photos. And nearly 7 in 10 (68%) text.
In response, AT&T created a campaign in Spanish, Puede Esperar. It includes:
- The AT&T DriveMode app**. It's now available in Spanish and open to all carriers. And it's free for iPhone and Android users. The app helps curb the urge to text and drive by silencing incoming text messages. It can automatically turn on when you reach 15 MPH and turn off after you stop.
- A 360° video experience that simulates the potentially deadly consequences of glancing at your phone while driving. View it on your smartphone.
- A coast-to-coast virtual reality tour visiting local high schools and community events in more than a dozen cities by year-end. A Samsung Gear VR headset, powered by Oculus, delivers a realistic simulation of the dangers of smartphone distracted driving through a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 smartphone.***
- A web site, espanol.att.com/PuedeEsperar, to share information and resources.
"Now more than ever we need to focus on those who put themselves at high risk behind the wheel," said Sandra Howard, assistant vice president of advertising, AT&T. "We want them to know the dangers and take the pledge. Ultimately, we want them to keep their eyes on the road, not on their phones."
Since its launch in 2010, the It Can Wait campaign has:
- Helped grow awareness of the dangers of smartphone distracted driving to more than 90% of audiences surveyed.
- Inspired more than 8 million pledges to keep their eyes on the road, not on their phones.
- Worked with departments of transportation in Texas, Kentucky and other states on research that suggests a correlation between It Can Wait campaign activities and a reduction in crashes.
- Collaborated with AT&T data scientists on research that shows how statewide anti-texting laws impact the rate of texting while driving.
As part of our broader road safety efforts, we're a founding member of Together for Safer Roads Coalition (TSR). TSR brings together global companies to help improve road safety and reduce deaths and injuries from crashes.
Spread the #PuedeEsperar message and follow the conversation on @ATTLatino. To learn more, visit espanol.att.com/PuedeEsperar.
* AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
** Compatible device required. Functionality varies by operating system. Rates: Data and text messaging rates apply for download and usage, including Auto-Replies. DriveMode for iPhone: Auto-Reply feature available for AT&T customers only. Auto-replies to SMS and MMS only and not iMessages or messages sent by third-party services. iOS Auto-Reply: Requires active AT&T Message Backup & Sync service. Will not send auto-replies to phone calls. Other functionalities such as routing calls to voicemail, blocking incoming calls, and blocking outgoing SMS messages are not available. Parental Alerts can be sent to AT&T mobile numbers only. General: Technical, network and other service restrictions may apply.
*** Samsung Gear VR is compatible with the latest Samsung Galaxy phones including the Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 edge, Galaxy Note 5, Galaxy S6 edge+, Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge.
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) helps millions around the globe connect with leading entertainment, mobile, high-speed Internet and voice services. We're the world's largest provider of pay TV. We have TV customers in the U.S. and 11 Latin American countries. We offer the best global coverage of any U.S. wireless provider.* And we help businesses worldwide serve their customers better with our mobility and highly secure cloud solutions.
Additional information about AT&T products and services is available at http://about.att.com. Follow our news on Twitter at @ATT, on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/att and YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/att.
© 2016 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T, the Globe logo and other marks are trademarks and service marks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.
*Global coverage claim based on offering discounted voice and data roaming; LTE roaming; voice roaming; and world-capable smartphone and tablets in more countries than any other U.S. based carrier. International service required. Coverage not available in all areas. Coverage may vary per country and be limited/restricted in some countries.
SOURCE AT&T Inc.