BELOIT, Wis., Jan. 26, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- FatWallet launches Valentine's Day Deals, featuring exclusive savings on flowers, chocolates, jewelry and other trending gifts ideas from hundreds of top brands and stores. The annual event promotes the most current discounts, coupons and free shipping offers, offering online shoppers a one-stop resource to find the best savings on their Valentine's gifts. Dozens of stores are sharing their love by increasing cash back through Feb. 14, including Kay Jewelers, Godiva, Nordstrom, Verizon and Cowboom.
Americans shelled out nearly $19 billion in 2015. "Traditional Valentine's Day gifts are always the lead for widespread retail sales this time of year," stated Brent Shelton, FatWallet online shopping expert. "More recently though, we're seeing a big marketing push for smart tech as Valentine's gifts, especially wearables, which should increase spending in excess of $20 billion in 2016."
24 Fun Facts for Valentine's Day Spending (see full infographic):
- Half of Americans will buy candy to the tune of $1.7 million
- More than 36 million heart-shaped boxes of chocolate are sold
- 48% of women expect to receive chocolates as a Valentine's gift
- Valentine's Day ranks #1 for fresh flower purchases in the US
- 20% of all flower transactions happen during Valentine's
- 1 in 4 Valentine's shoppers will buy flowers, half are bought for spouses
- 250 million roses get produced for Valentine's Day
- 40% of Valentine's flower purchases are red roses
- Half buy greeting cards to the tune of more than 180 million
- Valentine's ranks a far second to Christmas card sales (1.5 billion)
- 85% of Valentine's cards are purchased by women
- About 1/3 will do a Valentine's dinner and/or a movie
- About 1 in 5 buy jewelry as Valentine's gifts
- Almost 9% of all diamond jewelry is sold as Valentine's gifts
- 2 to 1, men outspend women for Valentine's
- More than 1/4 will shop online for Valentine's gifts, 1/3 of those from tablets
- Valentine's shoppers spend an average of 30% more online
- About 1 in 5 will buy for their pets
- Almost half of marriage proposals happen on Valentine's Day
- Almost 1/3 of Valentine's shoppers procrastinate
- 40% of procrastinators believe it's too late to find a deal after Feb. 13
- 38% want smartphones as a Valentine's gift
- 1/2 of women that don't receive a gift would end their relationship
- Tucson, AZ spending increases 68% during Feb. Valentine's Day sales
Data was aggregated from published surveys and reports by FatWallet.com. Data resources include: statisticbrain.com, aboutflowers.com, AMEX, EdahnGolan, Greeting Cards Association, Hallmark, Cardlytics, momentology.com, Ebates, Inc., Georgetown Institute for Consumer Research and National Retail Federation.
About: FatWallet is an online cash back shopping portal that publishes thousands of current coupons and deals from more than 1,700 retailers like Kohl's, Amazon, Walmart and Ebay. The much celebrated FatWallet forums represent the pulse of an evolving online marketplace where the savviest deal hunters in the world gather to share and learn about ways to save money. FatWallet also shares cash back to its members during annual promotions, such as Valentine's Day Deals, offering additional savings to shoppers year round. The new FatWallet Express is the "easy button" for online shoppers to assure cash back on every purchase, and FatWallet Deal Hunter app allows mobile shoppers to compare thousands of current deals on-the-go.