NEW YORK, Feb. 3, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Nonprofit groups in New York and Connecticut received more than $13.7 million from the Verizon Foundation in 2010. The majority of the funds went to organizations that support education, domestic violence prevention and Internet safety.
In addition, Verizon employees volunteered almost 114,000 hours to nonprofit groups throughout the state in 2010.
"Verizon and its employees are driven to use the innovative power of our technology -- and our philanthropic dollars -- to address critical social issues," said Jim Gerace, Verizon president for the New York region. "We are proud to partner with key nonprofit organizations throughout both states to be a positive force for change in communities in greatest need."
Programs and organizations supported by the Verizon Foundation in 2010 include:
- Metropolitan Council on Jewish Poverty – $75,000 to support outreach to provide services to victims of domestic violence.
- Brooklyn Public Library –$50,000 to support the Today's Teens, Tomorrow's Techies program, training Brooklyn high school students to provide computer-user support in library branches throughout the borough.
- Union Settlement Association – $30,000 to support its program to provide technology education and technology labs in East Harlem.
- Buffalo Family Justice Center – $20,000 in conjunction with Verizon Wireless' Hopeline program, to support an aggressive outreach initiative to inform the community about the services provided by the Family Justice Center, which provides free, confidential, walk-up, one-stop wrap-around services for victims of domestic violence.
- Pace University – $15,000 to support a forum on wireless Internet safety, held at Pace University's Pleasantville campus.
The Verizon Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Verizon, uses its technology, financial resources and partnerships to address critical social issues, with a focus on education and domestic violence prevention. In 2010, the foundation awarded nearly $67 million to nonprofit agencies in the U.S. and abroad. Through Verizon Volunteers, one of the nation's largest employee volunteer programs, Verizon employees and retirees have volunteered nearly 6 million hours of community service since 2000. For more information on the foundation, visit www.verizonfoundation.org.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE,NASDAQ: VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving 94.1 million customers nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America's most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers innovative, seamless business solutions to customers around the world. A Dow 30 company, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of more than 194,000 and last year generated consolidated revenues of $106.6 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.
VERIZON'S ONLINE NEWS CENTER: Verizon news releases, executive speeches and biographies, media contacts, high-quality video and images, and other information are available at Verizon's News Center on the World Wide Web at www.verizon.com/news. To receive news releases by e-mail, visit the News Center and register for customized automatic delivery of Verizon news releases.