PHILADELPHIA, Feb. 3, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Nonprofit groups in Pennsylvania received more than $3.3 million from the Verizon Foundation in 2010. The majority of the funds went to organizations that support education, domestic violence prevention and Internet safety.
In addition, Verizon employees volunteered more than 57,000 hours to nonprofit groups throughout the Keystone State in 2010.
"Verizon is driven by its employees to use the innovative power of our technology – and our philanthropic dollars -- to address critical social issues," said Gale Y. Given, president of Verizon Pennsylvania. "We are proud to partner with key nonprofit organizations throughout Pennsylvania to be a positive force for change in communities in greatest need."
Programs and organizations supported by the Verizon Foundation in 2010 include:
- National Constitution Center's Living News & Being "We the People" exhibit, Philadelphia – $50,000.
- Pennsylvania Library Association's Pennsylvania One Book, Every Young Child program, Mechanicsburg – $40,000.
- Womansplace's Expect Respect: Teen Dating Violence Prevention program, McKeesport – $30,000.
- Children's Literacy Initiative's Model Classroom Project, Philadelphia – $30,000.
- West Penn Allegheny Health System's Technology Pilot Reducing Rate of Infection, Pittsburgh – $24,800.
- Schuylkill Intermediate Unit's Technology Engaging All Learners program, Mar Lin – $20,000.
- Bar Association of Lehigh Valley's DWT.com - Driving While Texting...Don't Want To program, Allentown – $15,000.
The Verizon Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Verizon, uses its technology, financial resources and partnerships to address critical social issues, with a focus on education and domestic violence prevention. In 2010, the foundation awarded nearly $67 million to nonprofit agencies in the U.S. and abroad. Through Verizon Volunteers, one of the nation's largest employee volunteer programs, Verizon employees and retirees have volunteered nearly 6 million hours of community service since 2000. For more information on the foundation, visit www.verizonfoundation.org.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE,Nasdaq: VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving 94.1 million customers nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America's most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers innovative, seamless business solutions to customers around the world. A Dow 30 company, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of more than 194,000 and last year generated consolidated revenues of $106.6 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.
VERIZON'S ONLINE NEWS CENTER: Verizon news releases, executive speeches and biographies, media contacts, high-quality video and images, and other information are available at Verizon's News Center on the World Wide Web at www.verizon.com/news. To receive news releases by e-mail, visit the News Center and register for customized automatic delivery of Verizon news releases.