TAMPA, Fla., Feb. 14, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- West central Florida consumers and businesses are reaping the benefits of Verizon's continuing significant wireline communications and computing infrastructure investments in the Tampa Bay area.
Verizon invested more than $376 million in its Florida landline communications network and IT infrastructure in 2010. In addition, Verizon Wireless invested $195 million last year throughout the state. (For more information on Verizon Wireless' 2010 investment, click here.) In total, Verizon invested more than $571 million in network and new services projects.
"Verizon is a large national and international business, but for decades it has used that position to benefit consumers at the local community level in west central Florida, helping to fuel the region's sustained economic development through aggressive investment in the latest fiber-based technology for consumers and businesses," said Michelle Robinson, Verizon's Southeast region president. "The Tampa Bay region was one of the first to receive the FiOS all-fiber network and all that it provides. Additionally, the region houses the primary super head-end for all FiOS TV customers in the country, one of the most significant IT operations in Verizon, serving as a hub for our global Internet operations, and continues to be one of the top five employers in the region.
"From the smallest home to the largest business or government entity, Verizon's networks and technology touch lives, and our substantial investments benefit our customers, employees, suppliers and communities," said Robinson.
Verizon's major landline infrastructure programs last year included:
- Continued deployment of the company's award-winning, 100 percent fiber-optic FiOS TV and FiOS Internet services. In 2010, Verizon extended FiOS service to more customers in Hillsborough and Pasco counties, primarily to meet local franchise requirements. By year-end, the services were available to more than 1.1 million Florida homes and businesses.
- Enhancements that further differentiate FiOS services from the competition. FiOS TV provides a host of innovative, interactive features including an advanced interactive media guide; social TV, news, sports and entertainment widgets; DVR management via broadband or cell phone; multi-room Home Media DVR and more. In 2010, Verizon:
- Launched Flex View, which enables FiOS TV customers to take on-demand video programming outside of the home and view it on various portable devices, including a growing number of compatible smartphones, tablets and laptops.
- Revved up FiOS Internet speeds to 150 megabits per second for downloading and 35 Mbps for uploading – the fastest mass-market speeds in the country.
- Deployment of fiber-optic links to wireless providers' cell sites throughout west central Florida as these carriers expand their infrastructure to meet ever-growing demand for wireless broadband and advanced 4G services. In 2010, Verizon deployed fiber optics to connect 314 of these sites.
- Upgrading Hillsborough County Schools with advanced Ethernet transparent local area network service capable of providing broadband speeds ranging from 10 Mbps to 1 gigabit per second. The network was connected to 283 locations and serves both classrooms and administrative offices.
Verizon Business provides information technology and communications services to many medium- to large-business and government customers throughout Florida. In 2010, the company continued to implement its "everything-as-a-service" strategy, introducing new cloud computing and security offerings and a host of industry-specific innovations.
"Verizon's continued robust network and IT investment is driving the next generation of cloud computing services, which will benefit consumers and businesses alike by making new capabilities available to anyone, anywhere at the touch of a fingertip -- on a laptop, smartphone or tablet computer," said Robinson.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE,Nasdaq: VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving 94.1 million customers nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America's most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers innovative, seamless business solutions to customers around the world. A Dow 30 company, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of more than 194,000 and last year generated consolidated revenues of $106.6 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.
VERIZON'S ONLINE NEWS CENTER: Verizon news releases, executive speeches and biographies, media contacts, high-quality video and images, and other information are available at Verizon's News Center on the World Wide Web at www.verizon.com/news. To receive news releases by e-mail, visit the News Center and register for customized automatic delivery of Verizon news releases.