NEW YORK, June 22 /PRNewswire/ -- The Verizon Internet Security Suite, powered by McAfee, is now available for Mac users, Verizon announced Tuesday (June 22).
This upgraded VISS product is designed to help protect Mac users from online threats, identity theft and malicious Web sites. It joins Verizon's Online Backup and Sharing (VOBS) service in offering a version designed specifically for Apple's computer operating system.
Residential Verizon broadband customers – both Windows and Mac operating system users – who sign up for VISS and VOBS for the first time are eligible for a new bundle offer that amounts to a summer of free safeguards from online threats. Qualified customers who sign up for the bundle get the first three months of VISS and VOBS service free, after which they are billed a $10 monthly rate for 50 GB (gigabytes) of online storage and sharing and VISS coverage for up to three computers. Other Internet security tool options and backup and sharing plans also are available. Details are available at http://surround.verizon.com/Shop/FeaturedOffers/Default.aspx.
"Mac users are an important group of Verizon's broadband customers, and we're proud to bring them a version of our VISS software powered by McAfee, one of the most trusted names in computer and Internet security," said Peter Castleton, director for Verizon consumer product management and development. "Verizon wants Mac fans to know they can turn to Verizon for fast, reliable broadband access and online services designed to help protect their valuable systems and irreplaceable computer files."
Like its PC counterpart, the Mac version of Verizon Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee automatically updates its software and helps protects against known viruses while users are online, in addition to providing firewall protection and critical parental controls.
As part of its security lineup for Mac users, VISS offers:
- Virus Protection -- Automatically safeguards customers from known viruses, worms and other malware. Simple to use, it offers automatic updates for malicious software and automatic scans.
- File Repair -- Repairs and removes infections from files without damaging format or contents.
- Firewall -- Helps block unauthorized intrusions, malicious hackers and other hostile access attempts from both incoming and outgoing connections, with fully managed, automatically updated and customized firewall rules.
- Family Protection Parental Controls (residential customers) -- Enables parents to say "yes" to their children's online interests while keeping them safe as they learn and explore. The easy-to-use Family Protection parental controls feature also enables parents to manage online applications and the amount of time children spend online, while also providing usage reporting and instant alerts.
- SiteAdvisor -- Provides consumers with a powerful website-safety adviser that uses simple color codes to identify risky websites so users can more safely surf the Web and transact online.
Small-business owners who subscribe to a qualifying double- or triple-play bundle and add VISS and VOBS with 25 GB or more storage can get VISS protection on up to three computers and 25 GB of VOBS service free for 12 months. This promotion ends Aug. 21, 2010.
Verizon also offers small-business users the ability to encrypt their e-mails as well as the documents that are shared over the Internet with Verizon Encrypted Mail or Verizon Encrypted Docs, or both. The Data Protection Premium package starts at $9.99 per month and includes VISS, VOBS, Verizon Encrypted Mail and Verizon Encrypted Docs.
Verizon Online Backup and Sharing allows consumers and small businesses to preserve vital files such as customer accounts and financial records, music files or irreplaceable digital photos or videos.
In the case of accidental damage, hard drive crashes, natural disasters or theft, VOBS users can have peace of mind knowing their digital treasures are stored remotely and accessible from anywhere. In addition, VOBS users can conveniently share documents or photos with friends, family or business associates.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving nearly 93 million customers nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America's most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers innovative, seamless business solutions to customers around the world. A Dow 30 company, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of more than 217,000 and last year generated consolidated revenues of more than $107 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.
VERIZON'S ONLINE NEWS CENTER: Verizon news releases, executive speeches and biographies, media contacts, high-quality video and images, and other information are available at Verizon's News Center on the World Wide Web at www.verizon.com/news. To receive news releases by e-mail, visit the News Center and register for customized automatic delivery of Verizon news releases.