SAN FRANCISCO, May 3, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Verto Analytics (http://vertoanalytics.com), the world's first consumer-centric measurement company, today released its "2017 Mobile Gaming Index," which highlights the most popular mobile games among U.S. adults. The Index provides an overview of the top mobile gaming apps, examining user adoption, time spent on the app, device and OS differences, and stickiness—a measurement of user engagement that compares monthly users to daily users. To view the complete Index rankings and findings, click here.
The top 10 most popular gaming apps in terms of monthly users include:
- Words With Friends: 13 million
- Pokémon GO: 10.5 million
- Candy Crush Saga: 9.3 million
- Candy Crush Soda Saga: 7.7 million
- Solitaire by MobilityWare: 7.6 million
- Clash of Clans: 3.8 million
- Panda Pop: 3.5 million
- Clash Royale: 3.3 million
- Toy Blast: 3.2 million
- Cookie Jam: 3.1 million
Compared to Verto's 2016 Mobile Gaming Index released in June last year, the only three newcomers in the top 10 are Pokémon GO, Panda Pop and Toy Blast. Despite recent worry that Pokémon GO would be a one-hit wonder, the game's user numbers have stabilized in the eight months since its initial release. But even with 10.5 million monthly users, Pokémon GO was not able to take the number one spot from Words With Friends, which had 13 million monthly users in March 2017.
Additional key findings from the Index include:
- Supercell's Hay Day far surpasses Super Mario Run in user engagement and is an app to watch.
- #21 Hay Day has an incredibly high stickiness rating at 81%, exceeding its closest competitors Words With Friends (67%) and FarmVille: Harvest Swap (60%).
- Super Mario Run's stickiness is only 6%, which ranks it last in terms of stickiness among the top 40 mobile games.
- Hay Day's users spend more than 23 minutes per month playing the game, more than twice the amount of time that Words with Friends users spend.
- Words With Friends has seen a recent boost in user engagement: its stickiness rating increased from 50% to 67% since the 2016 Index, and the time spent per user per month has nearly doubled, from less than five minutes to more than 11 minutes.
- Casual games (puzzle games, in particular) dominate the top 15 games - only three titles fall into a different category.
- Android users are not playing Super Mario Run or Hay Day - neither game made it into the top 100.
- Super Mario Run was only made available on Android in mid-March 2017, but user adoption has been slow.
"Our data underscores why measuring actual app usage and stickiness, rather than the number of downloads, is a much better indicator of future success," said Hannu Verkasalo, CEO of Verto Analytics. "Games that have a high stickiness rating like Hay Day demonstrate a loyal and engaged user base, which bodes well for its long-term success. The mobile gaming market is heavily saturated, so the ability to correctly measure and predict an app's potential is crucial for app publishers and developers who want to stay a step ahead of their competitors."
Verto Analytics' 2017 Mobile Gaming Index analyzed mobile game usage among U.S. adults in March 2017. Verto's single-source measurement methodology is based on behavioral data gathered from a panel of opt-in consumers that own and use multiple mobile devices. Verto measures from the point of consumer interaction across all platforms, media, content and devices.
To access Verto's 2017 Mobile Gaming Index, please visit here.
About Verto Analytics
Verto Analytics provides a consumer-centric audience measurement solution for monitoring the complex behavior of today's consumer on every device, app and platform they use throughout the day. Verto provides data and insights to inform marketing, competitive intelligence, media buying, and product strategy and development. Backed by EQT Ventures, Conor Venture Partners and Open Ocean Capital, Verto is a privately held global company with offices in New York City, San Francisco, London and Helsinki, Finland. Read our blog, follow us on Twitter, or learn more at http://www.vertoanalytics.com.
All trademarks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/verto-analytics-releases-2017-mobile-gaming-index-300450241.html
SOURCE Verto Analytics