WALLA WALLA, Wash., Jan. 29, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- 'February is for Foodies' in picturesque Walla Walla Valley. With plenty of fun and delicious food-focused activities, Walla Walla is the perfect place for visitors and locals alike to celebrate the joys of food and discover their inner chef. Set in the heart of charming Walla Walla, the Marcus Whitman Hotel invites guests to the property during the month of February with enticing room rates, special menus, gourmet cooking classes and more.
Each Friday in February, the public is invited to partake in gourmet cooking classes at Walla Walla Community College, taught by one of Walla Walla's renowned local chefs. The Marc Restaurant's very own James Beard-recognized Chef Antonio Campolio will teach a class on February 22 demonstrating how to make his delicious smoked salmon ravioli. Chef Antonio will share his smoking salmon methods and how to cure and create fresh pasta dough fillings. Sommelier, Dan McCaffrey of the Marcus Whitman Hotel will provide the wine pairings and Casey Moody, bar manager and mixologist will discuss how to perfectly pair cocktails and share tips on creating irresistible concoctions. Four classes are offered in February and will be held in the Titus Creek Cafe Kitchen from 11:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Each class is $30 per person and will include wine pairings, tastings and a light lunch. Purchase tickets by visiting the Tourism Walla Walla Visitor Center at 26 E Main St., Thurs-Sun, 10-4 or by calling Tourism Walla Walla 509-525-8799.
In addition to cooking lessons, select local restaurants will offer special 'February is for Foodies' menus during the month of February. Dine at the Marc Restaurant and The Vineyard Lounge to experience and taste the exclusive menus. The Marc Restaurant's featured menu items and perfect wine parings from Dunham Cellars include:
- Warm "Haystack" Goat Cheese; 2012 Lewis Vineyard, Riesling, Columbia Valley – served with micro winter sprouts, compressed apple, spiced pecan and roasted orange vinaigrette
- Cape Cod Diver Scallop & Red Boar Farms Pork Belly; 2010 Trutina, Red Blend, Columbia Valley – served with winter lentil ragout, pomegranate, preserved meyer lemon and wile arugula
- Caramelized Pear & Ginger Sorbet – intermezzo
- Upper Dry Creek Ranch Lamb Espresso Crusted Loin & Crepinette; 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon XVI, Columbia Valley – served with spiced pepper and huckleberry, black garlic, carrot and rosemary
- Godiva Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake; 2010 Syrah, Columbia Valley – Toasted coconut whip, caramelized cocoa nibs, amaretto
The special menu is available for a limited time and the cost is $60 for food only and $85 for food and wine pairings. To book a reservation at the Marc Restaurant please call (509) 525-2200. To see full list of participating restaurants, visit http://wallawalla.org/things-to-do/special-promotions.html
The February festivities don't stop at the Marc Restaurant; dine at the Vineyard Lounge and enjoy the special bar menu. During the month of February, enjoy three courses for $25 with the choice of one starter, entree and dessert. A sampling of starters include fresh calamari, Dungeness crab "tater tots" and hot spinach artichoke dip. Gourmet entrees include shaved prime rib sliders, crispy fish-n-chips, house-made spaghetti and meatballs and beef stroganoff among others. Delectable desserts include house made mint chocolate chip ice cream, creme brulee and cookies & cream cake.
Guests looking to do something special this Valentine's Day are invited to celebrate their love with Marcus Whitman Hotel's Romance Package. The special package includes one-night's stay in the historic and luxurious hotel with champagne and chocolates delivered right to your room and an $80 dining voucher for two at the Marc Restaurant. The sweet deal is valid February 13-16, 2014 and starts at $242. For more information or reservations call (509) 525-2200. For more information, visit www.marcuswhitmanhotel.com.
In addition to the Romance Package, the Marc Restaurant is offering a unique 'Valentine's Tasting Menu' on February 13 – February 17. The special menu features delicious fare and perfect wine pairings including:
- Diver Scallop Crudo; Argyle, Blanc de Blanc, Oregon – Arugula, preserved meyer lemon, white soy sauce and house-made harissa
- Caesar Salad; Locati, Barbera, Columbia Valley – Midnight kale, monteillet cause noir, sunny side up quail egg and salt cured olive tapendade
- Blood Orange & Walla Walla Distilleries Gin Sorbet
- Double R Ranch Signature New York Strip; Long Shadows, Chester-Kidder, Columbia Valley – White truffle crepinettes, black garlic, winter carrot and Godiva Chocolate jus
- Walla Walla Roastery Tiramisu; Alexander the Grape – Hazelnut, sweet cream, orange, caramel
The menu is available for a limited time and the cost is $65 for food only and $90 for food and wine pairings. To book a reservation at the Marc Restaurant please call (509) 525-2200.
About The Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center
Built in 1928 through a community labor of love, The Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center is a downtown Walla Walla landmark where history and luxury intertwine. The property was fully renovated in 2001 and restored to its original grandeur, while adding modern updates to provide a truly luxurious experience for today's traveler. The full grounds include a 127-room hotel with luxury suites, a state-of-the art conference center featuring grand renaissance ballrooms, six on-site wine tasting boutiques, and the award-winning The Marc Restaurant and The Vineyard Lounge. Thousands of overnight guests, diners, wine lovers, conference goers, business travelers and pleasure seekers enjoy the Marcus Whitman's exceptional guest service each year, where they find "ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen" to the backdrop of modern splendor. www.marcuswhitman.com
SOURCE The Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center