OWINGS MILLS, Md., Sept. 15, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- September is National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month and Chesapeake Urology is urging men to take charge of their prostate health this month, and throughout the year. Chesapeake Urology is committed to finding a cure for this disease. In fact, for more than a decade, Chesapeake Urology's signature cause has been ending prostate cancer through the ZERO Prostate Cancer Challenge/Baltimore. Since the event began in 2006, Chesapeake Urology has raised more than $3.5 million to fund free prostate cancer screenings for more than 8,000 Maryland men, fully endow a prostate cancer research scholarship, and for advocacy and patient assistance programs.
5 Facts To Know About Prostate Cancer
- 1 in every 7 men will get prostate cancer sometime in his life. According to the American Cancer Society, it is estimated that there will be more than 160,000 new prostate cancer cases in 2017. Prostate cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer in men, other than skin cancer.
- The chances of getting prostate cancer are 1 in 3 if you have just one close relative (father, brother) with the disease. The risk is 83% with two close relatives; with three, it's extremely high at 97%.
- African-American men are at increased risk for the disease, with the highest rate of prostate cancer in the world: 1 in 4 men. African American men are 2.5 times more likely to die from the disease.
- Prostate cancer is the second-leading cause of male cancer-related death in the United States. There are more than 2.8 million men in the U.S. who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer.
- There are no noticeable symptoms of prostate cancer while it is still in the early stages. This is why getting tested and being screened is so critical. Learn about our Free Prostate Cancer Screenings.
Put Men's Prostate Health First
While September is certainly a great time to think about prostate health, men should be aware of this disease and how to prevent and/or treat it most effectively all year.
- Get screened. For prevention, Chesapeake Urology holds Free prostate cancer screening events around the greater Baltimore region throughout the year. Find a screening event near you: https://www.chesapeakeurology.com/about/free-prostate-cancer-screenings/.
- Get educated. Whether you, a family member, loved one, or friend has been diagnosed with prostate cancer, it's important to educate yourself on resources and advanced therapies available to treat the disease. Visit https://prostatecancer.chesapeakeurology.com/ for all of the information you need on diagnosis, treatment options, support services, and prostate cancer prevention.
- Find a clinical trial. Men who are diagnosed with prostate cancer should discuss the option of clinical trials with their urologist. Learn more about clinical trials here: https://prostatecancer.chesapeakeurology.com/our-care-program/clinical-trials/.
- Get treated. Treatment for advanced prostate cancer grows more targeted each year. Learn about the cutting-edge therapies, including new therapies, medications, and minimally invasive surgical procedures, here: https://prostatecancer.chesapeakeurology.com/about-prostate-cancer/treatment-options-for-advanced-prostate-cancer/.
- Find support. Chesapeake Urology provides a wealth of community and family support services for men and their loved ones living with prostate cancer. Find the support you need during and after prostate cancer treatment here: https://prostatecancer.chesapeakeurology.com/our-care-program/support-networks-and-resources/.
Be a Part of the Team Working for a Cure For Prostate Cancer
If you have been affected by prostate cancer or know someone who has, become involved with the ZERO Prostate Cancer Challenge (ZPCC) on Sunday, September 24, 2017 at Towson University's Johnny Unitas Stadium. Run or walk in honor of someone you love to help raise funds for critical research and education to help find a cure for prostate cancer. Register or donate today by visiting: http://support.zerocancer.org/site/TR/RunWalk/RunWalk17?fr_id=1372&pg=entry.
About Chesapeake Urology
Chesapeake Urology is a fully-integrated urology practice providing a comprehensive array of urologic services to its patients. The Company, including its Urological Consultants division, operates 25 medical offices and 17 AAAHC-certified ambulatory surgery centers in Baltimore, Harford, Howard, Carroll, Montgomery, Prince George's, Charles and Anne Arundel counties and in Baltimore City, and has a staff of more than 725 including 87 physicians, 80 which are urologists. Chesapeake has been named one of the top places to work in healthcare nationally by Modern Healthcare magazine and Becker's ASC Review, and locally by the Baltimore Sun, Baltimore magazine and the Baltimore Business Journal. For information about Chesapeake Urology, visit ChesapeakeUrology.com.
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/what-men-should-know-about-prostate-cancer-and-how-chesapeake-urology-is-fighting-for-a-cure-300520530.html
SOURCE Chesapeake Urology