BASKING RIDGE, N.J., Nov. 12, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon Wireless knows that innovative ideas can come from anywhere. Our 2014 Powerful Answers Award (PAA) received thousands of entries from around the globe – each one vying for the chance to win a $1 million prize and an opportunity to change the world through innovations in education, transportation, sustainability and healthcare. Out of more than 1,870 submissions, ten inspiring finalists were chosen in the Healthcare category. Here are some of the facts and figures:
Each of the Healthcare finalists presented their ideas to a panel of expert judges for a chance to win $1 million and work with Verizon to turn their idea into a reality. Follow their journey and stay tuned for the big winner reveal in late January. Who will take the top prize?
Communications & Care Coordination
- Wellframe: A clinically-proven technology platform that converts evidence-based clinical protocols into an interactive, daily health checklist on a patient's mobile device.
- Talkitt: A voice-to-voice application that translates distorted pronunciation to understandable speech, filling a gap for the 1.5 percent of the population affected by speech and motor disabilities.
- ORGANIZE: A new technology platform designed to spread awareness of and create a mechanism for U.S. organ donations and registration.
- ASDtect Autism: A tool that can diagnose autism in children from a tiny drop of blood using consumer-friendly dried blood spot technology.
- AdhereTech: A medication adherence and tracking and information gathering solution using smart pill bottles to automatically measure and gather data around if and when patients have taken their medication.
- Mindful Scientific: A fast, portable solution to assess, monitor and manage neurocognitive and neurodegenerative problems, such as concussion and dementia.
- Aldatu Biosciences: A new way to help treat infectious diseases and improve access to quality patient care through diagnostic solutions that use core technology to provide better tests for a broad range of applications, starting with HIV.
- GENOMENON: A cost-effective genome sequencing technology designed to present a clinician with a comprehensive picture of an individual patient's genome, which can reveal potentially life-saving genetic information and help increase the accuracy of diagnoses.
- Awaretech: Wearable technology solutions that can provide real-time health analysis for manual workers and their supervisors and/or safety managers. The technology analyzes lifting posture and computes risk of injury in real time, enabling ongoing management and oversight of safety protocols and workforce health.
- GoodRx: A patient education tool that provides price transparency and savings for every FDA-approved prescription drug at a customer's nearby pharmacy. The solution aims to help patients by providing access to updated pricing information and comparisons, pharmacy discount programs, manufacturer discounts and other cost-savings tools.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's largest and most reliable 4G LTE network. As the largest wireless company in the U.S., Verizon Wireless serves 106.2 million retail customers, including 100.1million retail postpaid customers. Verizon Wireless is wholly owned by Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE,Nasdaq: VZ). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. For the latest news and updates about Verizon Wireless, visit our News Center at http://www.verizonwireless.com/news or follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/VZWNews.
SOURCE Verizon Wireless